24v clutch issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

24v clutch issue

New to the forums. I recently put in a lightweight flywheel and m3 clutch into my m52 swap. But there seems to be a noise coming from the trans. When I push the clutch petal down the noise goes away. Also the clutch grabs really high. Like a 1/4 from the top.
    Last edited by Alpine30; 09-22-2010, 05:56 PM. Reason: B

Well lighter flywheels tend to be noisier is this by any chance an 8.5lb UUC flywheel? Since they are the lightest they are also the noisiest, if you are using a getrag 260 transmission the noise you are hearing is "getrag growl" that is play in the input and layshaft bearings, most getrags do it it doesn't mean it's going to blow up. The light flywheel is just making it more apparent.

'89 Alpine S52 with goodies

Comment

It's a zf from the m52. It didn't make the noise with the stock set up. The flywheel is an eBay one, think it's 15lbs. I'm just hoping one of the bolts didn't loosen. It feels like a vibration when driving.
      Can that cause damage to the crank or motor if something on the clutch set up is out of balance?

Comment

Okay. Stop. Did you re-use your flywheel bolts?

You need to use NEW flywheel bolts every time, they are one time use torque to yield bolts.

Comment

No the lightweight flywheel came with new bolts. The noise does go away when revving with the clutch petal pressed in. So it only seems to do it with the clutch engaged.

Comment

It's flywheel chatter it happens. The flywheel acts as a vibration dampener as well as holding inertia. Basically what I'm saying is it is fairly normal just get used to it.

Comment

I could see taking off having maybe some chatter, but to be in any gear driving. It seems excessive to have some vibration. I guess I can only listen to see if it gets louder.

Comment

Is it an F1 racing brand one? I haven't heard too much bad things about those, but who knows how well it was balanced. If it really bothers you you could try removing it and taking it to a machine shop to get it zero balanced along with your pressure plate, this may help but it isn't a sure bet.

Comment

yeah i believe it was an F1 racing one. I have no desire to pull the transmission back off. Its a pain crawling under the car. I just dont want it to hurt the engine, if its vibrating the crank.

Comment

If it's vibrating while your driving something is wrong either with the install or the flywheel itself, I would take it apart and see what's going on before you cause damage to your engine or trans.

The noise that Adrian is talking about should only be heard on idle with the clutch engaged ( foot off the pedal).

Comment

It doesn't seem like it would be the flywheel though. Cause if I push the clutch in and give some revs it doesn't seem to vibrate or have a noise, and the flywheel would still be spinning
                      Maybe something with the pressure plate? It has to be one of the two cause it has enough weight to cause a slight vibration when spinning.
                      Also like I said the clutch seems to grab to high. What would cause that?

Comment

Any lightweight flywheel is noisy. Simple.

Is it just as loud when first starting compared to when the transmission is hot?

Possibly the TOB.

Re-bleed your clutch, check your slave, and check your master.
                        Past Car : E30 S50 6 Speed 5 Lug 3.73
                        Current : Z3 S50 OBD2 (Smog Legal) 6 Speed BBS RN Dual Ear Diff
                        Julian 848-248-8029

Comment

Yeah seems to always stay the same. I haven't driven it to much maybe 100 miles on it. It's hard to tell cause my exhaust has a little leak on the side of the transmission.

Comment

Working...
                          X