Let the electrical nightmare begin!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let the electrical nightmare begin!

I've been running my S52 swap for a while now without a hitch. I had my electric fan connected to be running all the time. well looks like something burnt or shorted out. A few days ago it stopped running, at first I though it was the fan burned out, so I bought a mishimoto electric fan to replace it( i wanted to upgrade anyways).
    Now after reconnecting everything fan doesn't run. Checked my relays and they work fine.
    Anyone here have any suggestion on what it might be?

I have a slight suspicion that the base of fuse #3 is burnt. Seems like no power is coming to it and the base is kinda burnt out.
    I have opened the fuse box and looked under fuse #3 and there a Big black/green(dont quote me on the color, i didnt really take a good look at it) that goes on one side and the other side connects to the circuit board.

Comment

Did you have it running on low speed or high speed? If you had it on low speed continuously, it's possible the resistor failed.

Comment

Did you wire this into the existing circuit for the aux fan? High or Normal speed?

Check your relay on k1 for normal speed, as this is a 'gateway' for fuse 3.

Place a jumper between terminals 30 and 87 on K1

Also use a multimeter and make sure you are getting +12v on terminal 86 on K1

Comment

the original fan that i've been running at on position all the time when the car was on, was on High speed, the new fan i connected is connected directly to battery and an in cabin switch and that one only runs low speed.
          Herlsy, i will try that in a bit.

Comment

so you have it connected to the stock aux fan low speed circuit? I believe that circuit is only rated for 15A, you could be overloading it especially if the resistor is no longer in place. I would wire into the high speed circuit if this is your problem.

Comment

ok so terminal 86 is dead, but jumping 87 and 30 does get my fan running again. so that's one step forward!! yay, thankz Herlsy.
              so now what does a dead 86 terminal mean??

Comment

Switched 12v goes thru T86. This closes the relay contact to allow Unswitched 12v T30 to connect to target T87.

m

Comment

Usually the 86 gets +12v from the thermoswitch when it has reached temperature, are you running a thermoswitch in the radiator?

Sorry if you saw the post before the edit, i was off... :D
                  Last edited by herlsy; 09-24-2010, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by herlsy View Post
                    Usually the 86 gets +12v from the thermoswitch when it has reached temperature, are you running a thermoswitch in the radiator?

Sorry if you saw the post before the edit, i was off... :D
                    I am not running the thermoswitch at the moment, but i think i will re-wire everything and try to run it, so i wont have to have the fan on all the time, nor a manual switch. I am affraid that there's something wrong with the wiring, thus the reason it was not used in the first place. My dad was the original owner of this car, and we didn't have that much mechanical knowledge at the time., so many mechanics did their own thing to fix the car the ghetto way.

Comment

Probably the best thing to do is just run a new circuit then!

Comment

Working...
                      X