Which to use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which to use

i have an M50 out of a 93 325i and i'm using my g240 trans, do i used my m50 flywheel/clutch or the m42 clutch/flywheel.

M42.
    1985 325e 2.8 Turbo VEMS

Comment

damn, not what i wanted to hear. M50 is in much better shape... oh well

Comment

get a new clutch while your in there, its not that expensive, and its a bitch to do when its all together.

Full Build Thread Here

Comment

can i use the m50 flywheel if i use the g250 trans?

Comment

Originally posted by Alpine e92 View Post
            can i use the m50 flywheel if i use the g250 trans?
            Yes.

Comment

What are the flywheel options for a g260/m5x or s5x? Other than the lightened m20, 323i euro one and JB racing (which costs so much).

Comment

Well if you aren't going to use the e30 228mm stuff or the m50 228mm stuff then you can use any 240mm setup i.e. s50/s52 stuff.

The 240mm components fit fine in the G260. I'm running a JB racing 11lb flywheel for an s52 and a stock sachs 240mm clutch, I love it.

Keep in mind that this setup can be harsh if you aren't smooth with the clutch since the stock clutch isn't sprung hub and the lightweight flywheel is also unsprung i.e. it isn't dual mass. You can buy sprung hub sachs HD clutches from several places but I just bought a stock one off of e-bay.

'89 Alpine S52 with goodies

Comment

So are you saying that I can basically buy an e36 M3 clutch and flywheel and it will work with my s50/getrag260? I havent heard about this. The thing is I currently am running a lightened M20 flywheel, but I think I have an e36 starter. I bought the swap as is, but want to change my flywheel and clutch setup. But I dont want to buy anything that wont match up.

So if what you are saying is true, cant you run the M5 clutch with the g260/s50? -or is that only with the ZF?
                  Last edited by graphikg; 09-27-2010, 11:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by graphikg View Post
                    So are you saying that I can basically buy an e36 M3 clutch and flywheel and it will work with my s50/getrag260? I havent heard about this. The thing is I currently am running a lightened M20 flywheel, but I think I have an e36 started. I bought the swap as is, but want to change my flywheel and clutch setup. But I dont want to buy anything that wont match up.

I'm using exactly that.

Need to use the 260 pilot bearing.

Comment

I co-own an E30 with a turbo M42. We run the Getrag 240 with a lightened M20 flywheel and an M20 clutch.

Build info:

http://www.hqautosport.com/story.html

Comment

S50 G240 with M20 shaved to 16lbs/sach clutch/pp
                        NASA
                        BMWCCA member
                        PCA member 25yrs

1991 318IS slick top
                        1997 M3 sedan
                        2001 325CI DD

“whoever turns the wheel the least, wins"

Comment

I was also using the 240mm setup with my G260 until I swapped it out for the ZF (bad move). Mine was a Fidanza (same as UUC's) 10.5 lb. with an un-sprung E36 M3 clutch. It was great and never harsh at all. Fit perfectly. As far as cost is concerned, I guess it depends on what you want to spend. I think I paid $600 for the flywheel and clutch kit (clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing).

Comment

Did you use the M3 e36 throwout bearing with an E36 starter? Was there any e30 tranny material that you used other than the G260 (i.e. pilot bearing)?

Comment

^^I used an E36 throwout bearing and an E36 starter with the threaded holes. The only G260 parts were the transmission and pilot bearing, which is transmission dependent. I should also mention that I retained the G260 release fork, which works fine with the the E36 throwout/release bearing. My slave cylinder was an E36 M3 piece. Everything worked great. I'd put that setup behind any engine in a heartbeat.

Comment

Working...
                              X