Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stage 3 vs stage 4 difference? Streetable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stage 3 vs stage 4 difference? Streetable?

I am interested in buying the F1 Racinig clutch from ebay. Been doing research and people seem quite satisfied about it. I was originally going to go for the Stage3 but you have to get the flywheel with it. I was thinking of sourcing my own flywheel, but onlythe stage 4 clutch kit comes alone without the flywheel.

Looking on the website, I dont see a difference in the stage 3 or stage 4 except for sprung vs unsprung. Otherwise, the hp rating is the same, clutch disc size is the same too. Noise may be louder in the stage 4, but would it be any less streetable than the stage 3?

Wish I can add do this, but all I know is that stage3 6puck sprung clutch is easily streetable from my experience.
    The sprung clutch will just dampen the engagement slightly and soften driveline shock. Also less noise.
    I wouldn't daily an unsprung clutch.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

STAGE doesnt mean anything, i though you should know.

as for sprung and unsprung one would opt for unsprung types because they are normally used in higher output applications or because you drift and can make use of the harsh engagement. That being said i'd chose the sprung becuase they have the same HP rating... Seeing as they are from F1 (no-name company) i'd be wary or afraid of springs jumping out of their windows or worse.

technically the spring will travel only a few millimeters, but the reduction in chatter and harshness just make it more desirable for street.

above and beyond, you can buy their chromoly 16lb flywheel and drop a e36 m3 sachs (oem) clutch on there that you can street and track more reliably (just my opinion) than this aftermarket clutch. I've tracked this setup for almost 3yr now. Also IIRC you have a mostly stock s50 and short of FI i'd stick with the sachs and upgrade the flywheel.
      No more e30s for me.
      88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
      88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
      91 BMW 325i [sold]
      86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
      http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

Comment

Too much clutch just makes the car miserable.

Originally posted by etxxz View Post
        above and beyond, you can buy their chromoly 16lb flywheel and drop a e36 m3 sachs (oem) clutch on there that you can street and track more reliably (just my opinion) than this aftermarket clutch. I've tracked this setup for almost 3yr now. Also IIRC you have a mostly stock s50 and short of FI i'd stick with the sachs and upgrade the flywheel.
        QFT^^

I have a S50B32 with GruppeN DME. JB racing single mass flywheel (8.5 lb) for an M20 and a nice fresh OEM clutch/HD pressure plate. Love it. No slippage, but I haven't bolted on slicks yet. Perfectly DD-able, the extra torque from the S50 makes up for the light flywheel and then some.
        -Dave
        2003 Lincoln Towncar | 1992 BMW 325iC | 1968 Cadillac Deville

Need some help figuring out the ETM?

Comment

Originally posted by ak- View Post
          Wish I can add do this, but all I know is that stage3 6puck sprung clutch is easily streetable from my experience.
          The sprung clutch will just dampen the engagement slightly and soften driveline shock. Also less noise.
          I wouldn't daily an unsprung clutch.
          I DD my unsprung e36m3 sachs clutch behind my JB racing flywheel everyday. You have to be a little smoother at the engagement point but it isn't that bad really.

'89 Alpine S52 with goodies

Comment

i have that same 6puck unsprung with the 16# flywheel they sell in my drift car. ive driven it around the back roads by the shop and its easy to drive.

E30 Turbo 2.8L - 60ft - 1.70 :: 1/8th - 6.99 :: MPH - 105.47 :: 1/4 - 10.66 :: MPH - 132.53
            *RIP* E36 M3 - 60ft - 1.944 :: 1/8th - 8.64 :: MPH - 80.00 :: 1/4 - 13.55 :: MPH - 99.95

Comment

I'm currently running F1 stage 3 on my stock m20 with ms2 and I like it especially for the price. Held up pretty good the last 3 track days. Not very harsh on the street but need some getting use to. I also got it without the flywheel.
              JMP Autowerkz
              7349 Canby Ave.
              Reseda, CA 91335
              www.jmpauto.com

Comment

Originally posted by Adrian_Visser View Post
                I DD my unsprung e36m3 sachs clutch behind my JB racing flywheel everyday. You have to be a little smoother at the engagement point but it isn't that bad really.
                Yea, I'm sure it's easy when you DD it.
                I got to drive one for a WHOLE 3 minutes.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Working...
                X