E21 m50 swap not running good

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E21 m50 swap not running good

i swapped in a nonvanos m50 into my e21, and i finally got it to the shop to get exhaust put on it and drove it back home today. when my car was open headers, it ran rough at idle and low rpm bc the 02 sensor wasnt hooked up. so i thought thats why it ran rough. well after i got exhaust put on and the 02 sensor hooked up and everything, it still ran the same. it sounds like its cammed at idle(which it isnt cammed) and low rpm driving in like 1st-2nd barely on the throttle its jerky and like up and down rpms like.. it doesnt run smooth like it should. i thought for sure when i got exhaust and hooked up the 02 it would totally fix the problem and run smooth. i thought running no 02 wood make the computer go into a slight limp mode or something and make it run rich and rough. does maybe a code need to be cleared or something? i dont think its running to its full potential even tho the car is pretty quick past 2k rpms. any suggestions? ill post up a vid tomaro

vacuum leaks

Full Build Thread Here

Comment

Originally posted by MattM View Post
      vacuum leaks
      This.

I had one, and it was from under the throttle body. There are three nipples (ROOOOFLLL) under there, and for my swap, I plugged the far right (closest to the firewall), and the middle one. It fixed it.
      M Coupe

Comment

AFM backwards?

Comment

the maf i not backwards, i guess it could be a vac leak but it just doesent seem like it wood be that.. what all hoses should i check and stuff?

Comment

All of them. As in every hose going to the intake manifold. First just try disconnecting your battery for 15 minutes to reset the DME it may still be compensating for the O2 sensor and open headers.

'89 Alpine S52 with goodies

Comment

ok i disconnected my battery for well over 15 minutes and that didnt help anything, i checked all of the vacuum lines, put clamps on most of them and even used high temp silicone on the joints for most of them.. condition still persists.. the only hose i couldnt really get to was the icv ones.. but i looked at em and kinda felt em and they seemed fine.. any suggestions?

Comment

Sounds frickin cool but it obviously ain't normal. The car has not been properly run since 06.I'm having trouble pin pointing a problem but I have not actual...

^my car sounds exactly like this, and the guy who made the vid said the hose going to the intake and icv was bad so i assume thats my problem.. so i ordered two new hoses and the connector that plugs into the intake i hope this fixes the problem.
                Last edited by jeds320i; 10-03-2010, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Take some carb cleaner and spray around hoses. You will get a change in idle if you spray over an vaccum leak. Never good to just throw parts at it.

Comment

Originally posted by jeds320i View Post
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVbNG...layer_embedded

^my car sounds exactly like this, and the guy who made the vid said the hose going to the intake and icv was bad so i assume thats my problem.. so i ordered two new hoses and the connector that plugs into the intake i hope this fixes the problem.
                    MY NVM50 sounds like that too, but I still have a lot of things to fix before I get to the idle.

Comment

ok dudes, i replaced all the icv hoses and stuff including the plastic intake connector thing. it still runs the same.. i reset the ecu and everything... SUGGESTIONS!

heres a vid:
                      not sure whats wrong, it wont idle good and below 2k it hesitates. i checked/tightened all vac lines and just replaced the icv hoses and little connector thing.

Comment

you must have done it wrong
                        [/url]

Team USA Wrestling 67KG
                        Team USA Wrestling Strength And Conditioning Coach

Comment

Originally posted by fiftytakedowns View Post
                          you must have done it wrong
                          i didnt do it wrong, i replaced the hoses the right way for sure and used clamps.. everythings nice and tight :/ could maybe my icv be the problem or something?

Comment

bump! my car still doesnt run right and the new vac hoses didnt fix the problem.. i sprayed carb cleaner around all the hoses and nothing happened so im leaning away from a vacuum leak. i pulled off the ignition coils one by one while it was idling and they all had the same effect, so i think the coils are good. what else could it be?

Comment

is there any difference on the idling with maf disconnected?

Comment

Working...
                              X