S50 shuts off.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S50 shuts off.....

Or attemps to shut off every time I hit the clutch to come to a stop the car seems to shut off occasionally, sometimes it chokes but doesn't turn off, but the idle starts jumping from 1k-2k rpm. Any thought of what can it be? checked for vacuum leak but can't seem to find any. Help?

Mine does that too but never dies.

Comment

Not saying this is the problem but I would clean my idle valve and double check for vacuum leaks. Also possibly bad throttle position switch or bad adjustment so it doesn't always trip the idle circuit when you're off the throttle.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
        Mine does that too but never dies.
        You haven't found the problem?

Originally posted by Mossman View Post
        Not saying this is the problem but I would clean my idle valve and double check for vacuum leaks. Also possibly bad throttle position switch or bad adjustment so it doesn't always trip the idle circuit when you're off the throttle.
        Yeah, I'm going to check those tomorrow. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by blackhawkimpact View Post
          You haven't found the problem?
          Nope, but it only happens once in a while. Not everytime, more so when its cold.

Comment

Mine does something like that too at times. I think it is because I dont have the valve between the hose that goes from the brake booster to the intake manifold.

Comment

I have that connected. I realized that I never connected the speed sensor signal though. How do I connect this? How does it look like? I think I know which one it is but not sure.

Comment

Speed sensor is in the diff, did you hand wire it or use a wiring adapter?

Comment

None.

Comment

Looks like it's the MAF. I disconnected it and it runs and idles better. Also no more stalling or cutting off. Is it ok to run the car with the MAF disconnected for a few days?

Comment

You can still drive the car, but it should just run incredibly rich (ecu has base maps for fuel/air incase a primary input is taken away from it, like the MAF).

I've got this same issue right now, I'm glad you figured it out so now I know where to start :) In the meantime, I just tell my friends that my car is a hybrid, built in auto shut off to help save the environment lol

Comment

Originally posted by blackhawkimpact View Post
                        Looks like it's the MAF. I disconnected it and it runs and idles better. Also no more stalling or cutting off. Is it ok to run the car with the MAF disconnected for a few days?
                        That doesn't necessarily mean that the MAF is bad. All it really says is that the airflow data from the MAF is at odds with reality. That can result from a bad MAF, or it can be the result of intake leaks. A smoke test of the intake should be the first action. Only if the smoke test is negative would I replace the MAF.
                        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Yeah. Found the problem already. A nut was missing on the master cylinder and there was a big gap, that's where the leak was coming from.

Comment

Update

Ok, I thought I would just bring his thread up instead of making a new one...
                            So I'm still having that trouble that when I accelerate past 3000 rpms it's seems like it starts to choke and it won't let me go faster and it won't accelerate any further. Any thoughts?

Comment

Road speed signal?

SINdelle:E36 M3 5-Lug | 17x8 & 17x9 BBS RS | S52/ZF | 2.93LSD/3.5HFM/24lb Injectors/C&S Chip[B]SOLD[B]

Comment

Working...
                              X