What Happened??!?! (Long)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Happened??!?! (Long)

After a long drive home Saturday night, my wife and I decided to go to a parking lot where i would show her how to drive a manual. As your typical newbie, she was very rough getting out of first and stalled a few times. After about 15 minutes of my clutch taking a beating she felt comfortable enough to drive home, about 3 minutes away. Here's where shit happens...

As we pull out of the parking lot, i hear a POP!! Then followed by what sounded like a loud air leak. Immediately, vapor/steam started coming out of all the vents and it fogged up the windshield. My wife by now stopped the car and we both get out. As this is going on, i also see a liquid streaming out from beneath the car. I decide to take a look and saw what seemed like water pouring out of the mid section of the car. I let the car sit there for a moment as my brain processed what the hell happened.

I get back in the car and noticed all the carpeting, drivers side only, was soaking wet. I also noticed the temp sensor all the way HOT. I was about to call a tow truck thinking she was toast but decided to try and start her up before doing that. She started right up. But again that temp sensor was really hot so my guess is that the engine overheated or something.

Since i was a few minutes away from home i decided to drive home...really slow. I had to stop twice when i saw the vents start putting out steam/vapor which got me nervous.

Now she's home and waiting for someone to get back to me to have them take a look. She still starts right up and today i let the engine run for a while to see if it would start to overheat. It did. It reached the 3/4 mark before i shut her off. The puller fan i have in there must have a short because it didnt turn on. I imagine it wasnt working that night when all this happened either.

I tried to describe as best I could remember what i saw and heard that night. With that said, does anyone know what damage i may have done?
    And how screwed i really am?

Sorry for the long post. And thanks in advance.
    Last edited by 5ickride; 10-22-2010, 06:15 PM.

Pretty sure that would be your heater core.

Comment

Usually water pouring out from the middle console/dash area would be a heater core. If that coincidentally went bad at this time and then you lost all of your coolant to the inside of your car you would continue to over heat.

What do others think?
      Originally posted by z31maniac
      I just hate everyone.

No need for discretion.

Comment

I'd say heater core or possibly the valve popped.

Comment

Severe overheating can do some serious damage to your motor.

Sounds like you blew a heater hose/heater core.

Get a flashlight out and have fun :) Theoretically you could bypass the heater core...

Comment

Originally posted by Chrisv006 View Post
            Severe overheating can do some serious damage to your motor.

Sounds like you blew a heater hose/heater core.

Get a flashlight out and have fun :) Theoretically you could bypass the heater core...
            Living in north jersey and being october, I would not suggest bypassing the heater core lol.

Comment

Time to take out my Bentley and see about this heater core. I should also mention that i checked the coolant level yesterday, day after this happened, and noticed my coolant fluid very low. I poured some in to get it at the desired level and havent noticed an immediate change. I'll check tomorrow and see if it's leaking.

Comment

Originally posted by 5ickride View Post
                Time to take out my Bentley and see about this heater core. I should also mention that i checked the coolant level yesterday, day after this happened, and noticed my coolant fluid very low. I poured some in to get it at the desired level and havent noticed an immediate change. I'll check tomorrow and see if it's leaking.
                You don't need to check to see if it's leaking. It is. Replace the heater core, the valve, and the tubing.
                2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
                2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
                1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
                1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
                Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
                  You don't need to check to see if it's leaking. It is. Replace the heater core, the valve, and the tubing.
                  I lol'd. Then I nodded my head in agreement.
                  Originally posted by z31maniac
                  I just hate everyone.

No need for discretion.

Comment

You might also want to replace your head while you're in there if you heated it enough to pop a heater core. I'm guessing your fan was dead and all the stop/go and low speed driving caused everything to heat up. I'm going to guess you didn't notice because you weren't in the driver's seat.
                    '89 325is S50 Track Montser
                    '04 X5 Daily/Tow Vehicle

http://www.avarestoration.com

http://www.myspace.com/brendanfiddle

Click here if you want to be my zombie slave...

http://www.youtube.com/user/Fidhle007

Comment

+1 You'll be very lucky if your head isn't warped and HG blown.

Comment

Might as well check the oil for coolant while you're at it.

Comment

There was a recall back in about '98 on my '86 325es. According to BMW it was possible that the heater core would break and spray hot coolant on your legs. I think all they did to remedy the problem was change the coolant reservoir cap.
                          -Brandon
                          '86 325es S50
                          '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
                          '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
                          '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:
                          S50 TMS chip for Schricks

Comment

Heater core it is. Happen to me a couple weeks ago after the swap. Lots of white smoke came out w=from the vent and coolant was on the floor. I just deleted the heater core for now since I don't have money to replace it.

Comment

Originally posted by Fidhle007 View Post
                              You might also want to replace your head while you're in there if you heated it enough to pop a heater core. I'm guessing your fan was dead and all the stop/go and low speed driving caused everything to heat up. I'm going to guess you didn't notice because you weren't in the driver's seat.
                              Just because the heater core popped does not mean a head replacement is needed.

Replace the heater core and start from there.
                              Past Car : E30 S50 6 Speed 5 Lug 3.73
                              Current : Z3 S50 OBD2 (Smog Legal) 6 Speed BBS RN Dual Ear Diff
                              Julian 848-248-8029

Comment

Working...
                              X