CLACK CLACK CLACK, swap not turning

First let me give you the details

Car: 86 325es
    Engine: m52
    Clutch: m20
    Flywheel: dual mass m20
    Starter: Original 4 post m20
    Transmission: getrag 260

When I turn the key the starter makes a clacking noise. I did shave the oil pan and the motor does turn freely, the round c101 does not have a pin 15 for unloader relays. I read this is combined with pin 18 somewhere in the fuse box. What am I missing I have searched endlessly now it's time for the experts to chime in
    thanks in advance

The starter makes a clacking noise? Have you charged the battery/tried jumping it?
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
    2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
    1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
    1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
    - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
    1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
    Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

yes a loud clacking, I am jumping it. I think it has enough juice to at least do a weak turn but its like the gears are not engaging. Which i dont see why they shouldn't as the transmission locates the starter and flywheel. It all worked together before the swap. I will try pulling the battery out of my 5er that should have the juice but im not convinced thats the issue, i have been wrong before though lol.

Comment

Funny your in DC, we are planning a trip as we speak for next week!

Comment

What stater/ flywheel combo are you running? Is the starter spinning or just shuddering like one would on a low battery?

Comment

A bad connection with the jumpers and you won't get enough current to turn over the motor just enough to engage the solenoid, that sound would be one click when you first turn the key. Is that what you are hearing?

'89 Alpine S52 with goodies

Comment

Originally posted by Devil Inc View Post
              What stater/ flywheel combo are you running? Is the starter spinning or just shuddering like one would on a low battery?
              transmission, clutch, flywheel, starter were all the original from the m20, only difference now is the engine. It's a repetitive loud clack, sounds to me as if the gear keeps hitting the flywheel. It doesn't really sound to me like one would with a low battery, it's much louder.

Comment

Update: i pulled the battery out of my e39 and tried it. the starter engaged but still wont turn. guess im going to try a new starter

Comment

So your using the dual mass flywheel with the eta big starter?
                  Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Take it to advance auto or ripoff zone to have tested I have spare starters along with many r3vers
                    NASA
                    BMWCCA member
                    PCA member 25yrs

1991 318IS slick top
                    1997 M3 sedan
                    2001 325CI DD

“whoever turns the wheel the least, wins"

Comment

Originally posted by Wishno87 View Post
                      So your using the dual mass flywheel with the eta big starter?
                      Yes, but i bought a single mass flywheel, starter, and clutch from another member should be here soon

Comment

Originally posted by e30s50dan View Post
                        Take it to advance auto or ripoff zone to have tested I have spare starters along with many r3vers
                        I pulled it out and bench tested it, it just pops the gear out but doesn't turn.

Comment

Originally posted by howelll View Post
                          Yes, but i bought a single mass flywheel, starter, and clutch from another member should be here soon
                          That will probably fix it. No one usually uses a dual mass e30 fw with this swap. Check my starter thread for a good diagram of the starter terminals.
                          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Update: so a new-used starter arrived. I connected all wires, ground on short big stud, alt and batt on longer big stud, and blk/ylw on small terminal. I get the same result as with the last starter, the gear pops out and doesn't spin. So I guess i got another bad starter, very fustrating

Comment

Originally posted by Wishno87 View Post
                              That will probably fix it. No one usually uses a dual mass e30 fw with this swap. Check my starter thread for a good diagram of the starter terminals.
                              I have, it has proved most usefull

Comment

Working...
                              X