Anyone using a ZF310 from an early e34?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone using a ZF310 from an early e34?

I'm using a ZF trans that came from a 91 525i behind my m50.

For the shifter setup i'm using a 96 328i carrier, selector rod, and shifter.

So the problem is that the shifter carrier sets the shifter a bit too far forward in the chassis opening. It shifts ok but when i add the console, the shifter is hitting it. Shifter sits pefectly level in the carrier as it should.

I've searched around and seen others that have had this issue, but no info on their resolve.

Any thoughts on the e34 ZF310 being different fron the e36 ZF310?

Setup:

m50nv
    AKG Motor mounts
    e34 ZF310 trans
    e21Mounts

1996 328i:
    Shifter
    Selector
    Carrier

I believe yoshi is using the same tranny. Can't remember his sn on here...
    Edit- shiboujin

Comment

Get stock m20 325i shifter parts. The carrier/selector rod/ shifter all should be stock M20 stuff. Unless you want to cut and weld the carrier back some.

Comment

Interesting. Before i offloaded my stock 325i carrier/linkage i set the carriers side by side and they were the same length. The problem is the carrier is too short, not too long so if anything it would need extension.

Funny how it's a bit 'hit or miss' when it comes to the centering issue.

In the end i suppose i could resolve by trying to add a shorter throw shifter, but it's not a guarantee i guess.

Comment

short throw shifter would probably make it worse. The issue here is that the ball of the carrier an the selector rod needs to be at the same point.

Like this:

---------0----

|_______|

This is what your current problem is:

---------0----
          |_____|

or:

-----------0----
          |_______|

Make sense?

IE Either your carrier places the shifter too far forward, or your shifter rod isn't long enough. I guess it's more than likely the selector rod if your carrier/shifter ball are dead center of the hole in the chassis for it.

Comment

It's definitely the carrier that is too short, but everything lines up with the selector rod perfect, as in, the shifter is at a level point in neutral.

The carrier part that houses the ball is too far forward in the opening.

I'll probably end up wasting a bit of money trying out some different options.

Thanks for the feedback.

Comment

Curious... how much space do you have from the back of the engine's head to the firewall?

Comment

The motor mounts had come to mind, i'll have to measure.

Comment

shouldn't put your shifter THAT far off tho.

Comment

Working...
                  X