Another cranks but won't start OB1 M52

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another cranks but won't start OB1 M52

It's a 97 M52B28 converted to OBD1 using a 413 red label and TRM chip. Tried starting it for the first time last night and it cranks strong but doesn't start. It's getting no fuel or spark. Pulled a plug and is dry, then grounded it still no spark. Also the tach doesn't move while cranking either. Anyone able to help me out?

Yes title should be OBD1 instead of OB1.

Everyone likes pictures soo here it is in its current state.
    Last edited by avery0829; 12-03-2010, 01:00 PM.

TRM chip should rule out the EWS issue. What CPS are you using? The OBD2 or OBD1? I THINK they are different, but i'm not sure.

Comment

OBD1, all of the OBD1 parts came from e30S52's car. One thing I read was about the vibration dampener being being the right kind for the CPS to read?

Comment

Is the ecu grounded? is the obd1 crank positioning sensor in the front off the crank pulley or in the back where the standard obd2 crank sensor is?
        world renown Harry Potter expert
        sigpic

Comment

No, its just in the glove box guess I'll try that. I'm using the OBD1 guy in the front.

Comment

Alright I had the exact same problem. Turned out that motor wasn't properly grounded, my ecu wasn't grounded, and my cps was in the back as opposed to the front where it should be.
            sigpic

Comment

Might have your Cam Position Sensor mixed with your Crank Position Sensor. The ECU doesn't need to be grounded.

Comment

Yesterday I made sure the two sensors were plugged in to the right spots. I'm going to make sure the ground strap is on properly. Where is it susposed to be at?

Comment

For the engine? It's on the right side by the right motor arm.

Comment

Originally posted by blackhawkimpact View Post
                    The ECU doesn't need to be grounded.
                    Ditto, drove mine for years in the glove box with no issues. Relays good? Do you hear the fuel pump click in to bring fuel pressure up?
                    https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

It looks like you don't have the orange fuel relay. I also use the green e36 relay and wouldn't start so I change it with the E30 orange fuel relay. I don't know if that makes a difference.

Comment

I feel like this is some sort of relay problem.
                        sigpic

Comment

Ground strap was checked with a multimeter and is good same with the CPS sensor. For the relays I tried my old ones from the M20 and still nothing. I do not hear the fuel pump priming. Gah

Comment

Check your wiring adapter. My tach moves when I crank mine (and when it runs). My engine speed indicator to dme wire was not the same color as any pin chart. Test continuity to the pin on the dme connector for it.

Fuel pump will not get signal to run without proper engine speed signal. I double, triple, and quadruple checked all my adapter wiring and on the 3rd check figured out the speed sensor wasn't the right color...

Looking for a clean e30 shell for a project.

Comment

Do you know what pin number that would be? I sent EricT a PM about the harness he modded for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X