*Back of the head coolant hose question*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

*Back of the head coolant hose question*

Does it go to the bottom of the heater core or the top? I was under the impression it went to the bottom from what I had read and what friends who have swapped cars have done as well. Another member on here has stated otherwise and I'm just trying to clear the air as his argument seems to make sense.

Originally posted by Roysneon
    $5 shipped?
    Originally posted by MarkD
    You are a strange dude, I'n not answering any more posts from you.

Back of block to bottom (lower) heater core.

Comment

Originally posted by nwvb bmw View Post
      Back of block to bottom (lower) heater core.
      ^^^^ This is correct. Otherwise, no heat.

Looking for a clean e30 shell for a project.

Comment

Is the valve on the bottom or top? If bottom then that would be correct as the coolant would go through the black first and then into the HC.

$5 shipped?

Comment

I'v had it hooked up backwards before last december, you get no heat. Also my temp gauge read just past half and when I switched them to the right way it went to just under half.

Comment

Im not saying im 100% right but im basing my opposition on the fact the heater valve is in the top Hcore hose and it is designed to stop coolant flowing through the Hcore.

What im thinking is coolant on a 24v motor flows from the front of the motor to the back then to the Hcore (hot side) and from the overflow tank and the other side of the HC back to the backside of the thermo housing....

Check Us out on Facebook
            Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
            Full Product Line Tuning
            OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

Originally posted by nwvb bmw View Post
              I'v had it hooked up backwards before last december, you get no heat. Also my temp gauge read just past half and when I switched them to the right way it went to just under half.
              Please be more specific. backwards meaning to the bottom or top?

$5 shipped?

Comment

This is for my car's heater hose, the valve is on the bottom, that is what controls coolant flow. Therefore the head is outlet and it runs to the heater core inlet which is bottom.

I've looked at a couple other versions (88 325i- my brother's car, 87 325e - another friend's car) and its the same way.

unless the flow is supposed to go into the heater core first, then to the valve, it should go to the bottom. I can't imagine the HC being filled with hot coolant on a summer day, bmw designers wouldn't do that to us would they?

EDIT:

This is another diagram for another heater core, which is inlet on top:

I guess i'm going to look at mine for real and see which is in my car...
                Last edited by monkeytaco; 12-09-2010, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Top Pipe Has the Valve on the later model cars

Check Us out on Facebook
                  Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
                  Full Product Line Tuning
                  OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

So it looks like it depends on core you have. And the valve should be getting the hose from thr back of the head. Going to look at mine tonight.

$5 shipped?

Comment

No more insight from fellow r3vers?

Check Us out on Facebook
                      Full Product Line Tuning

Comment

back of head goes to valve

Comment

Thats what i thought....

Check Us out on Facebook
                          Full Product Line Tuning

Comment

I checked out my car last night and I have the back of the head to the top (inlet) hose. The valve for mine looks pretty much exactly like yours.

I also looked at an 86 325 and it had the valve on the bottom... so check your valve when you hook it up to be sure.

Comment

Damn, didnt think it made a difference. I always thought it as "Spider, Top; Back Bottom" A little neumonical method of mine.

Comment

Working...
                              X