Perfect candidate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perfect candidate?

So this weekend I'm checking out a car that has been totalled by a guardrail along the sides.

It's a 1991 E34 525i. I was wondering if I should be concerned about it having an auto tranny? Do I need an ecu from a manual? Is there a difference in the wiring harness?

I'm hoping to be ahead of the game on a few items:
    My car is an 89 325i, so I already have the right radiator, and transmission.
    It's coming out of a e34, so it already has the right oilpan and throttle cable.

So my whole current drivetrain will work, same for cooling?

I'm slowly getting through the whole DOHC thread, haven't looked through it before. I've never thought about putting an m50 into my car, simply because it's hard to find out here. And it seems like this is a perfect candidate at a good price.

Also, here are some pics. Anyone notice anything I should take a more detailed look at? He said the oilpan is fine, and the motor mounts look good. I'm hoping the engine didn't get messed up in the accident. I'll be looking at it this weekend, and will take alot of better pics. If it seems good, I'll probably go back next weekend with my dad and/or my mechanic, and if they feel confident then buy it on the spot and trailer it home.

EDIT: Main things I'll need ?: E36 motor arms sitting on e28 m5 motor mounts, custom transmission bracket, and a brake booster (still pretty undecided).

Well it is a nonVANOS motor, I would still remove the oil pan and red loctite the oil pump nut and do the rear main seal. Do you know how long ago the water pump was changed, if not then change that and the thermostat. Since you will (probably) have the tranny out I would change the hard to get to bushings in the shifter.

No real difference with the wiring harness and I think it actually fits better than the e36 harness I have now.

Comment

Yeah, I'm not really converned with vanos vs. non.

While the tranny is out it's getting a SSK with all new bushing, along with a new clutch and a lightened flywheel.

Hmm... sounds good, I'll be checking it out tomorrow.

Comment

e34 harness is about 8" shorter than the e36... you will have a bit of a tough time mounting it in your glovebox without a custom bracket. I'm busy/lazy and my ecu is still just sitting in my glove box.

-Addis

Doing something M50 related? -> http://www.addissimo.com
        On Myspace? ->http://groups.myspace.com/r3vlimited
        BF2142 SN = BillyGoose

Comment

Working...
        X