X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Developed a misfire...it seems

**Problem Solved, See post # 5**

Hey guys,

Tried searching around but didn't find anything too conclusive.

For reference:

M50B25 block, m52 crank, rods and pistons...2.8liter m50.

I was driving a couple of hours ago and all of a sudden the car started to hesitate across the entire powerband, I kinda peddled it home. When I finally came to a stop the car sounded like it wasn't firing on all cylinders. There is some vibration as I accelerate, no symptoms on deceleration though (no fuel or spark right?)

I was thinking to start pulling the coil harness to see if anything changes to narrow down which coil is the culprit. OR it may be a spark plug?

Is this a proper method for checking a misfire?
    Last edited by dude8383; 01-15-2011, 02:52 PM.
    IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

first I'd pull the coils and see if there's water/oil/whatever in there. then pull the plugs and take a look at those too.

and what motor? i'm guessing you didn't throw a cel

Comment

Sounds alot like when I had a bad vaccume leak...

Comment

Originally posted by 99em1 View Post
        first I'd pull the coils and see if there's water/oil/whatever in there. then pull the plugs and take a look at those too.

and what motor? i'm guessing you didn't throw a cel
        i actually have a spare set of coils that i will try but first im going inspect before replacing anything.

motor info added in original post, yeh no CEL.

Originally posted by 325issguy View Post
        Sounds alot like when I had a bad vaccume leak...
        this is a pretty clear misfire, i doubt a vacuum leak could create something like this. i'll post up a video in a few.

Comment

Problem solved.

MrSlacker came by and gave me a hand. I started with coil/spark plug 1, spark plug was a little oily but the coil itself looked fine. I replaced it with a spare anyway. Slacker started it up and the problem coil immediately made itself known...I saw the spark against the valve cover.

Pulled coil # 5 and found this:

I guess its time to replace all 6 huh?

Comment

I wonder if that's what's wrong with my S50... mmmm.
            Need a part? PM me.

Get your Bass on. Luke's r3v Boxes are here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=198123

Comment

cool. i always wonder if new coils would make a difference in mine. can't justify new ones though till i know they're toast. if it aint broke... and all

Comment

Denis, I have a couple of NOS coils, let me know.
                sigpic
                New website releasing soon www.gutenparts.com Guten Parts + Service | Facebook | Twitter

Levent
                %20levent@gutenparts.com

Comment

Thanks for sharing how you fixed it. Hate when I see these threads with no resolve.

Originally posted by Roysneon
                  $5 shipped?
                  Originally posted by MarkD
                  You are a strange dude, I'n not answering any more posts from you.

Comment

Originally posted by 99em1 View Post
                    cool. i always wonder if new coils would make a difference in mine. can't justify new ones though till i know they're toast. if it aint broke... and all
                    well i purchased my coils used but i will purchasing new ones after this. generally if one goes bad then the others will follow suit sometime after.

Originally posted by samiam3356 View Post
                    Thanks for sharing how you fixed it. Hate when I see these threads with no resolve.
                    no problem man, i hate seeing threads that don't have a solution either!

:up:

Comment

Originally posted by dude8383 View Post
                      well i purchased my coils used but i will purchasing new ones after this. generally if one goes bad then the others will follow suit sometime after.
                      I logged in just to say that sometime after can be anytime from today to never, just like when you get them new. save your money and buy just 2 spares :)

Comment

Working...
                      X