No announcement yet.

m52 swap causing leaky radiators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bled the system again last night and then started the car. Engine gets to normal temp range and the lower radiator hose (passenger side) never gets warm plus it feels like there is a lot of air in it when I squeeze it. Seems like my thermostat is not opening.

I replaced the thermostat with a brand new one during the swap. I'll take it out tonight and test it. It's probably stuck closed.
    M/S52 Wiring Diagrams
    Z3M S52 to late model 325i wiring diagram
    M52 to 318is wiring diagram

Comment

instead of buying a new one, you should test out the old one while you're at it

just throw it in some water over your range with a thermometer and observe the power of science
      2008 335i - n54b30
      1991 318i - m52b28
      1994 fzj80 - LAND CRUSHER

Comment

Originally posted by luckysnafu View Post
        Damn, not what I wanted to hear. Makes sense though. When I installed spark plugs the other night when I took off the oil cap there was condensation on the cap and some brown milky stuff on it. Was hoping it was residual from the engine sitting for a few months before the swap.

Guess it's time for a new head gasket...
        Yeah being in new england a little condensation in these temps is normal. I didn't read the whole thread though so you could still have a HG adventure in your near future.

Comment

Took the thermostat out and tested it last night. Works fine. I'm guessing I haven't been able to completely bleed the system.

Gonna drill a small hole in the top of the thermostat and put it back in. I'll raise the front of the car and bleed it. Hopefully that gets all the air out of the system.
          M/S52 Wiring Diagrams

Comment

Drilled a hole in the thermostat and was able to bleed all the air out of the system. Car purrs at idle and no longer overheats. These engines are very finicky with bleeding the air out of the system. I raised the front of the car and was able to massage the air out of the upper and lower radiator hoses.

Thanks for all the help!
            M/S52 Wiring Diagrams

Comment

Working...
            X