No announcement yet.

Who's Running No Charcoal Canister?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well, I stopped at the junk yard on the way home and found the last e36 with an engine under its hood and grabbed the purge valve, installed it, and all seems to be working great.

FYI, my first setup (2 yrs ago) had the gas tank vent going directly to the throttle body. That was a major failure!! Gas in the intake manifold and it ran horribly. Leaving the purge valve in the line seems to be the setup I was looking for. Thanks guys.
    S50'd

Originally posted by TDE30
    What is this faggy shit I have happened upon?
    Originally posted by slammin.e28
    I can always live in a M3. Can't M3 a house.

Comment

Originally posted by Dominic49 View Post
      p.s. if you just plug it into the throttle body without the canister you WILL place vacuum on the gas tank and place a greater strain on your fuel pump and possibly collapse the tank.
      100% True. If your system is not other wise vented it will draw a significant vacum on the system. It got so bad that when I opened the cap it sounded like a jet intake. Now venting to atmosphere.
      1989 332IS -S-Fiddy Four-Some weight removed.
      5 lug E36 M3 Brakes Coilovers and LTW's and No ABS.

Comment

Originally posted by BMW_TUNER View Post
        100% True. If your system is not other wise vented it will draw a significant vacum on the system. It got so bad that when I opened the cap it sounded like a jet intake. Now venting to atmosphere.
        Really? I've always had the opposite, my gas tank is always pressurized when I open the cap.

'89 Alpine S52 with goodies

Comment

Originally posted by BMW_TUNER View Post
          sorry I think i just proved this wrong.I got a 1222 code it turned out to be the purge valve was stuck open pulling vacuum on the tank causing a rich condition (vacuum leak).The pressure in the tank is how I figured it out.replaced the valve and hooked up still without the canister and codes gone and no pressure in tank.Im no expert but it just does not make any sense the canister is just a filter for the fumes. my vw had a vent at the tank, along with the evap with a bearing or something in it and it would vent and in case of a roll over the bearing would keep gas from spilling.Not sure these cars have it or not.

sounds like your valve may be stuck open.

Comment

The charcoal can absorb the gas vapors with the engine off and allows purge air to escape from the bottom in order to keep the tank from getting vacuum you are not seeing vacuum on your tank whenyou pull the cap with the car off or idling because the valve is not open. If you attach a vacuum gauge to the tank side of the valve I'm sure you will see that when its open under light cruise and other situations. Besides why wouldn't you run one 30% of vehicle HC emissions came from the gas tank, before the canisters were added.

Comment

p.s. Disregard everything on the pic except the canister.

Comment

The charcoal can absorb the gas vapors with the engine off and allows purge air to escape from the bottom in order to keep the tank from getting vacuum you are not seeing vacuum on your tank whenyou pull the cap with the car off or idling because the valve is not open. If you attach a vacuum gauge to the tank side of the valve I'm sure you will see that when its open under light cruise and other situations. Besides why wouldn't you run one 30% of vehicle HC emissions came from the gas tank, before the canisters were added.

If I was pulling vacuum I would get a code like when my purge valve was bad.I have no code which means not pulling vacuum from the tank and no rich or lean condition.sorry dont believe it.
                What I dont understand is how emissions are effected without the canister,Im sure they are but the way I understand the system is the charcoal is a filter reducing vapor.so why would the amount of vapor matter since its plumbed into the tbody and burned,which the cat would deal with.Increase in unmetered air?which is hard to believe their is enough vapor and in that case it would cause an engine code.

Comment

Isn't the bottom of the canister some sort of foam? As in the canister is not a closed filter, but can also draw outside air in?
                  the diagram shows this and it reminded me of touching my canister one day. I think i remember foam underneath.

Comment

With it setup with vent line > purge valve > throttle body, where does replacement air come from as fuel is burned?
                    S50'd

Comment

Originally posted by crazyvwobie View Post
                      If I was pulling vacuum I would get a code like when my purge valve was bad.I have no code which means not pulling vacuum from the tank and no rich or lean condition.sorry dont believe it.
                      What I dont understand is how emissions are effected without the canister,Im sure they are but the way I understand the system is the charcoal is a filter reducing vapor.so why would the amount of vapor matter since its plumbed into the tbody and burned,which the cat would deal with.Increase in unmetered air?which is hard to believe their is enough vapor and in that case it would cause an engine code.
                      why would the dme throw a code for the purge valve when it thinks its doing its job? all the code is looking for is flow of electricty through the coil of the solenoid.

seriously if you dont belive get out of your armchair mechanic and go do a real world test, vacuum gauge on the tank side of the line.... either way no matter, its not my fuel pump that will go bad sooner than it should, just trying to show you the flaw in your way.

Comment

Originally posted by Lof8 View Post
                        With it setup with vent line > purge valve > throttle body, where does replacement air come from as fuel is burned?
                        no where except when the motor is off and the valve is once again open.

Comment

no where except when the motor is off and the valve is once again open.
                          I can see that creating a problem. If you burn a whole tank in one trip, I can see that creating a lot of vacuum and damaging the tank.
                          S50'd

Comment

why would the dme throw a code for the purge valve when it thinks its doing its job? all the code is looking for is flow of electricty through the coil of the solenoid.

seriously if you dont belive get out of your armchair mechanic and go do a real world test, vacuum gauge on the tank side of the line.... either way no matter, its not my fuel pump that will go bad sooner than it should, just trying to show you the flaw in your way.
                            arm chair mechanic,lol.You dont know me.Im not an expert just trying to understand your logic.Im hardly an arm chair mechanic.I have built many cars doing all the work myself.I never said the purge valve would throw a code.Why dont you actually read what I said and get off your high horse.I got a 1222 code from a rich mixure(vacuum leak) which was 100% caused from the purge valve being defective(it was pulling vacuum from the tank .My point was if the tank was pulling vacuum it would throw a code you ass clown (most likely 1222 again). WHAT DOES THE CANISTER NOT BEING THERE HAVE TO DO WITH THE TANK PULLING VACUUM??

Comment

cannister vents to atmosphere, tank is sealed unit "ass clown" air must get into gas tank to replace burnt fuel. i'm sorry you dont understand.

Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

[/thread]

Comment

I have my purge valve pluged and my tank venting into the charcoal canister so I don't smell it. I mounted my charcoal canister under the car out of site
                                84 318I Delphin RIP
                                87 325IS delphin 24v Sold
                                89 325 Alpineweiss

Comment

Working...
                                X