S52 rebuild help please!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S52 rebuild help please!!!!

So the s52 comes with the wiring harness. this engine is complete from valve cover to oil pan except for the alternator,starter,maf. The guy I bought it from pulled the front timing case off to check the visible condition of the chain and such and they seemed good, so he used them.

What else do I need to make it complete for my e30.. please help!

The motor is high mileage(166k) so I want to rebuild it also. Things you would recommend and what type of alternator, starter, and maf, should I would for the e30. I have about 2k to spend. Thank you.

Jason

Ummm you're going to have to try a little harder than that.

Take some time and read the forums for a while. While the comprehensive DOHC swap thread is a 1000 page mess of various information it does have the answers to your questions on the first page.

Your $2k budget isn't going to get you very far if you plan on re-building the engine as well as dropping the engine into the car.

'89 Alpine S52 with goodies

Comment

2000 will get you just all of the rebuild parts and pay for machine work granted that you plan on doing a proper rebuild with all new gaskets, bearing, and etc. Engine assembly isnt even included yet. Just worry about getting the engine in the e30 and running for now then you can save for a rebuild later. Pulling the engine out isnt all that hard to begin with.

Comment

I don't even have the shell yet, I just want to know the good parts to rebuild this s52 and by what I said above, alternator, maf, and starter, what kind should I use.

Comment

I would definitely throw a new head gasket on there because if I remember properly the front of the head gasket can get damaged if you just remove the timing cover without taking the head off, theres dowels on the front of the block that make it hard to actually take it off without removing the oil pan and head.
          Last edited by NR-E30; 02-21-2011, 01:24 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

wow... before you proceed. Who is doing the rebuild because you obviously have no clue. There are rebuilds and then there are rebuilds... what are you trying to do freshen up or replace everything?

it can be as bare as
            Bottom End:
            Main Bearings
            Main Bearing Bolts (some argue you can reuse them, replace them)
            Rod Bearings
            Rod bearing bolts
            Bottom end gasket kit
            Piston rings
            +misc gaskets orings missing/broken/doubtful sensors, materials (lube gloves towels etc)

Top End:
            Head gasket kit
            Head bolts
            Timing/Vanos tool
            +misc hardware bolts nuts broken/rusted stuff

Just this far + bare minimum machine work and minor repairs is 1500... you still don't have an e30 AND probably going to take you months from what i can tell.

May i recommend you get an e30. Save up and start collecting parts, research parts, wiring, become familiar with the car and the swap, make some friends here.

oh boy then things you might want to replace in the motor... Word of advice, voice of experience. If you can buy a car that is done, you'll save a lot of money, time, agravation... but specially time. I've seen many people here take over a year..or 2.. just to finish their swap. Show around, consider other options.. there's a thousand ways to skin a cat.
            No more e30s for me.
            88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
            88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
            91 BMW 325i [sold]
            86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
            http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

Comment

Working...
            X