Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY: Compression Test For engine out of car

See Vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oy6vmqLFy5I

Did this for a customers S52 i just picked up. Very easy to do. Either do what i did and use a junk auto trans bellhousing or bolt up a trans, bolt up a starter, Positive to battery Then just ground the starter or motor to the battery. Top terminal (the one that has a 10mm nut on it) to the + on the battery will fire the starter. I used a fused link with a 7.5amp fuse in it just for safety.

(Make sure theres some oil in the pan lol)

Check Us out on Facebook
    Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
    Full Product Line Tuning
    OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Can I perform this test on a long block. I don't see any reason why not having an intake or anything past the valves would affect it, but I've never done a compression test before, so it is possible I'm overlooking something blatant.

I understand the numbers will be lower due to the engine not being at operating temp, but I should be able to get a general idea of the engine's health by comparing the cylinders.

Comment

Yes you can easily. Im still figuring out a way to do a proper leakdown test on a motor out of a car. A new thread will be formed when i figure that out lol

Check Us out on Facebook
      Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
      Full Product Line Tuning
      OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

leakdown? why cant you just use a leakdown tester? I did that on my engine when it was on the stand and found my first 3 cylinders were crap.

Comment

You realize a cold leakdown test will tell you nearly nothing...

Check Us out on Facebook
          Full Product Line Tuning

Comment

I'm not a pro on engine rebuilding, but why would a cold leakdown tell you nothing? I would figure the rings should be expanded and sealing regardless of temperature?

Comment

I would say it's the same as doing a compression test on a cold motor...yea, the numbers might be lower than if it were up to temp, but the numbers would still be fairly important. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Comment

Things haven't expanded and so it will be way off, ive done them on cold motors and had 20+ % when cold and <5 hot

Check Us out on Facebook
                Full Product Line Tuning

Comment

So the only worthwhile test for an engine that's out of a car (dead cold) would be a compression test? I did a leakdown on mine before I pulled the head and had numbers like:
                  1) 30%
                  2) 25%
                  3) 16%
                  4) 7%
                  5) 5%
                  6) 6%

Head was rebuilt and is straight/true. Found 6 intake valves were no dice.

Comment

Well a cold compression test isnt ideal either but it will show issues before a cold leakdown will from my experience. And yeah you def had some issues there.

Check Us out on Facebook
                    Full Product Line Tuning

Comment

I'm almost shocked that the motor doesn't move around more than it does. Do you have it lashed down or something?
                      Originally posted by Matt-B
                      hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

nope. Keep in mind all spark plugs are out so its not really building compression and this is my shop battery which gets moved around alot and charged intermittently so the starter isnt cranking with full power.

Check Us out on Facebook
                        Full Product Line Tuning

Comment

Yea, I noticed that it sounded very weak.

Just be careful with a full battery - It'd suck to have a block roll over on your leg or something.
                          Originally posted by Matt-B
                          hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Been there, done that :(

Check Us out on Facebook
                            Full Product Line Tuning

Comment

cold compression wont tell you anything about the rings or cylinder walls or HG... which is usually why you do a compression test

i guess if your looking for catastrophic stuff go for it..(broken valves/rods/etc)

basically if you get 0 it fails, anything higher then 0 and it passes...
                              Last edited by MattM; 03-05-2011, 10:07 PM.

Full Build Thread Here

Comment

Working...
                              X