S50 initial start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S50 initial start

Ok i got everything hooked up and started the car, it fires right up but starts reving the shit out of itself on its own for about 30sec.

Then the car settles down and starts bouncing up and down idling.
    I turned the car off cause its late and i didnt want the neighbors giving me dirty looks in the morning, but is this normal... i dont get a check engine light for the way its acting. Has the ecu not learned how to act yet? How long should i let it do this before i shut it off? Or do i have another problem
    1988 325is alpine
    1989 325is zinno RIP
    1992 325ic alpine
    1986 325e cirrusblau

clean the ICV? MAF?

the most my car has ever rev'd on startup is about 1200. and only for a split second on a rather cold winter morning.

Full Build Thread Here

Comment

nope not yet, i was hoping that once it warmed up and got some o2 readings that it would act normal
      1988 325is alpine
      1989 325is zinno RIP
      1992 325ic alpine
      1986 325e cirrusblau

Comment

ive had my ECU unplugged multiple times, never acted anything like that when it was learning, had a slightly rough idle if anything.

Full Build Thread Here

Comment

Check for vacuum leaks. My swap on the first start would rev to 5k on it's own over and over from idle. I forgot the plug behind the tb into the manifold. Once fixed idle wavered slightly for a min or so till the ecu had steady control. Hope you get it sorted out
          sigpic

Comment

thanks ill take a look back there, also remebered that i dont have that little check valve from the brake booster to the manifold, anyone else not have one... could that make my car act this way?
            1988 325is alpine
            1989 325is zinno RIP
            1992 325ic alpine
            1986 325e cirrusblau

Comment

vac leak, most likely around the ICV I would think

Originally posted by Roysneon
              $5 shipped?
              Originally posted by MarkD
              You are a strange dude, I'n not answering any more posts from you.

Comment

Also, make sure your MAF is on the correct way. There's an arrow. I was so tired when I rebuilt my top end that I had it backwards and it did exactly that.
                Need a part? PM me.

Get your Bass on. Luke's r3v Boxes are here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=198123

Comment

Definitely a vacuum leak.
                  I had a major leak from the intake mani to the FPR and make sure the intake manifold is also tightened properly to the head. Any space between the two will cause surging idle.

Check and recheck everything. Do you have a CEL on?
                  world renown Harry Potter expert
                  sigpic

Comment

Also, tightening the manifold too tight can distort the orings and cause issues as well. :/

$5 shipped?

Comment

Quick questions
                      1) Should the connection that has hoses coming out of the valve cover be wiggly? i get alot of play in there wondering if the o ring is no good.

2)The arrow on the maf should be pointing to the throttle body right?

3)How do i take off the rubber sleeve around the icv? I just slipped the icv out and left the rubber mount there. Maybe too difficult to do with the mani on.

4)how do you get a leak at the fpr and mani, bad seal?

No cel yet
                      never took the mani off...ill torque to spec once i get some time, cleaned out the icv seems to open and close 10x better unfortunatly i broke the clip that held the hose that goes onto the back of the throttle body from the icv :(. Also noticed that the other hose from the icv that goes to the intake boot had a tear in it so two new hoses on order. Zip tied any other vac hoses that had no hose clamps on them.

Thanks for the help guys keep it coming
                      1988 325is alpine
                      1989 325is zinno RIP
                      1992 325ic alpine
                      1986 325e cirrusblau

Comment

1)Do it like this, with a zip tie. Keeps it snug and from being so damn loose.
                        2)yes
                        3)it takes about 30 minutes or less to remove the intake. Just take apart and get the icv and hoses more secure. Had to do the same thing on mine and now it is WAY smoother
                        4)yes, and maybe the vacuum line has came off

$5 shipped?

Comment

Originally posted by samiam3356 View Post
                          1)Do it like this, with a zip tie. Keeps it snug and from being so damn loose.
                          2)yes
                          3)it takes about 30 minutes or less to remove the intake. Just take apart and get the icv and hoses more secure. Had to do the same thing on mine and now it is WAY smoother
                          4)yes, and maybe the vacuum line has came off

im not trying to hijack this thread or anything, but is the air hose connector for the intake manifold to ICV hose supposed to be loose? im having a surging idle problem right now and the car isn't able to be driven...so i ordered a functioning ICV and also the air hose connector for the intake manifold which i added a link of a picture to below.
                          so maybe this could be the problem that 325islovE and i have

Comment

its gotta be air tight, because where that hose enter the intake systemthere is unmetered air entering the system which just fucks up the a/f ratio in the combustion chamber

I ordered a new hose, that clip, and some o rings. samiam has a good fix for that broken clip i wish i saw that before getting mine would have saved me some cash.
                            1988 325is alpine
                            1989 325is zinno RIP
                            1992 325ic alpine
                            1986 325e cirrusblau

Comment

just so i know for sure

the hose in the image above with the zip tie on it. where does it go? i hacked my hoses when pulling my motor because i needed to get the engine out in 30 mins. thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X