e36 windage tray hitting e34 oil pan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

e36 windage tray hitting e34 oil pan

First things first, my e34 pan does not have the built in windage tray.
    I went to bolt up my oil pan and it won't sit flush on the block. There is contact between the e36 windage tray and the pan. If I slide the tranny end of the pan slightly it will sit flush on the block but the bolt holes wont line up.

Ive searched and no one seems to be having problems with this.

92 M50 NV

Ill get pictures up in a few.

Im pointing to where the pan is hitting the windage tray.

Take the windage tray out and cut out a section?

Edit: Pictures work?
    Last edited by brokenbimmer533; 03-31-2011, 04:46 PM.

Comment

gotta cut the tab off thats hanging down...i just did this 2 days ago lol
      Someday a real rain will come and wash all this scum off the streets.

Comment

cant see the pics either, but if its what i think it is, i opted to cut the tray off the pan and use the one from the block. all these pieces are engineered and that seems slightly closer to factory to me.
        Edit: my oil pan had a separate tray attached to it. We cut that off and left the one on the block. Sorry can't help other than possibly trading it for another e34 pan similar to what I used. I don't know what years were different.
        Last edited by JJ1; 03-31-2011, 08:35 PM. Reason: Pics working.

Comment

pictures should be working now

Comment

I removed my windage tray due to debris from from a Helicoil repair. What are these screws torqued to? (pink arrows).

Comment

Any idea?

I can't find this in the Bentley or here (http://www.bmw-m.net/TechData/torq/bmw_torq.pdf). Mainly because I don't know what the description of this hardware would be.

Comment

WTF, my engine didn't have any of those triangle pieces. I used the e34 windage tray, but in your case you can just trim the e36 tray or leave it completely out and take the power hit. Those small bolts don't look like they're load bearing so I'd personally throw some thread lock on them and snug it.
                1997 540i/6 - stock
                1985 325 - M50NV - Getrag 250 - 2.79 LSD - MS2/e -LC-1 - 750cc injectors - Blunttech Manifold - HX35 - AEM UEGO
                1991 318i - M50NV - Getrag 240 - 4.10 open - e36 rack - Smileys - 55w 5000k HIDs

Comment

Originally posted by David325is View Post
                  Any idea?

I can't find this in the Bentley or here (http://www.bmw-m.net/TechData/torq/bmw_torq.pdf). Mainly because I don't know what the description of this hardware would be.
                  are those the bolts that hold up the (e36)oil tray thing? if so i domt think they need to be intensely torqued just tight
                  Originally posted by E30_(1st Musk)_
                  HONDA IS WHERE EVERY TREND DIES! .

24v swap Oil Pan..F/S

Comment

My s50 doesnt have those triangular braces either? Any info on those? OEM aftermarket? What engine is it specifically?

Comment

Are you sure thats a m50nv? Block appears to be the aluminum block from a 528i or 328is (m52b28 )

Comment

The engine is a M52B28 alum block from '97 Z3. The windage tray I removed has not matched any of the photos of other windage trays. The screws don't look to be load bearing, but I thought I would ask just in case. I am leaning towards threadlocker and snugging the fasteners. Right now this is the only issue keeping me from putting the engine in the car.

Comment

With the amount of them they probably add so torsional rigidity. Saving weight from a cast iron block they had to stiffen the new Aluminium block some how.
                          https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Working...
                          X