Zf vs g260

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zf vs g260

Bear with me, I know there are many discussions on this subject. Since there are alot of new swaps out there, I figured id reach out for the most recent feedback.

Which trans did you use for your swap, and why?
    -Jay

2014 NASA FL se30 champ #81
    2001 se46 3 year plan in progress

260 with 3.46S.

Love this combination.

Originally posted by Roysneon
    $5 shipped?
    Originally posted by MarkD
    You are a strange dude, I'n not answering any more posts from you.

Comment

I'm a fan of the ZF. But I like the idea of not having to yank my engine to change the pan.

That said if your ZF has fresh fluids it'll be buttery smooth and mine doesn't have the ZF "lean" as some have complained about. Although, 1st and 2nd can be a bitch at times. I'd say 1 out of every 100 take off's first gives me some trouble.
      Need a part? PM me.

Get your Bass on. Luke's r3v Boxes are here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=198123

Comment

ZF>all
        and the 5th gear lean is a 8$ fix.

Check Us out on Facebook
        Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
        Full Product Line Tuning
        OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

The 260, since I didn't want to buy a new transmission, diff and driveshaft.

Comment

Originally posted by Wh33lhop View Post
            The 260, since I didn't want to buy a new transmission, diff and driveshaft.
            This. I also had mine totally scrubbed clean, fully resealed and flushed/filled with RedLine MTL Synthetic. I can't wait to drive it and see how it feels.

Comment

I'm running a 260 in my S50 cabrio but we run a ZF in our track E30.

What's the 5 gear lean? Is this referring to the orientation of a 260 behind a 24v engine?

Comment

Originally posted by 328ijunkie View Post
                ZF>all
                and the 5th gear lean is a 8$ fix.
                this is true.....but dayum what a pain in the ass to fix!! I just did mine last week.
                '87 325ic, powered by S50.

Comment

Originally posted by ck_taft325is View Post
                  I'm a fan of the ZF. But I like the idea of not having to yank my engine to change the pan.

That said if your ZF has fresh fluids it'll be buttery smooth and mine doesn't have the ZF "lean" as some have complained about. Although, 1st and 2nd can be a bitch at times. I'd say 1 out of every 100 take off's first gives me some trouble.

Is this related to the tilt of the motor? I havent found any info on the lean. Can anyone elaborate
                  -Jay

Comment

Think they are referring to the inability to get the car into 5th and sometimes reverse is affected by the same issue. Not a hard fix and Robert on tech explained how to do it rather simply.

Janderson, you should post up the holes in your 260 so people can see how to modify the tranny so that you can remove the oil pan with the tranny still attached.
                    Last edited by samiam3356; 05-25-2011, 04:31 PM.

Originally posted by Roysneon
                    $5 shipped?
                    Originally posted by MarkD
                    You are a strange dude, I'n not answering any more posts from you.

Comment

Im leaning towards using the 260 also, interested to see what you did.

I also noticed a few guys used a g240. pros, cons?
                      -Jay

Comment

G240 is a direct fit with no lean. You could use the stock E30 trans bracket.

The G240 will work unless you plan on driving the car hard. There is a limit to how much torque the G240 can handle.

I blew up 2 G240's in 2 months this year but that car puts out 300+ ft lbs of torque.

Comment

Originally posted by e30pq View Post
                          I'm running a 260 in my S50 cabrio but we run a ZF in our track E30.

What's the 5 gear lean? Is this referring to the orientation of a 260 behind a 24v engine?
                          The shifter has a tenancy to lean over to 5 when in neutral.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

S50/ZF/3.15

The ZF came as a package with my motor.
                            Originally posted by blunttech
                            Always Always go for the reach around if there is an option

Comment

The 260 has an O/D 5th gear, so you can run a higher rear end ratio. I like a high diff ratio for a faster feeling car, but not as much speed to get into trouble with. I run a 4.10 with the 260 and still have reasonable revs on the highway with a lot of fun around town. With a 1:1 5th on the ZF, you have to run a lower diff ratio (or drive down the freeway at 4.5k RPM's).

Comment

Working...
                              X