Head Seeping. What Would You Do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Head Seeping. What Would You Do?

I'm at a crossroads with my S52 swap and I'm not sure what to do. The motor has 96K on it and the head gasket seems to be seeping (see pic.) I'm on a budget and of course I've already spent much more than I thought I would on this swap. I was just going to clean the engine up and drop it in but now I'm not sure.

Judging from the picture, would you do all the gaskets and seals to refresh the head? Would you do a complete head rebuild? Or do you think this a minor issue and I should not worry about it and slam the motor in as is?

(I was already planning on replacing the rear crank seal, valve cover gasket and Oil pan gasket.)

Last edited by ACHTUNG; 05-24-2011, 12:29 PM.
    1989 US E30 Cammed S52
    Under Construction: 1983 Euro E28 Cammed LQ9/LS3 Heads/Jakeb E28 LSx Kit

If it were me, I would go ahead and just replace the head gasket along with new head bolts and other misc. gasket on the top end while the engine is out. But if you are really on a tight budget, get a compression tester and check out the numbers and you get a definite answer on whether you need to or not. The compression numbers should be fairly close to each other (+ or - 10% I believe).

Comment

Originally posted by e46s54dr View Post
      But if you are really on a tight budget, get a compression tester and check out the numbers and you get a definite answer on whether you need to or not.
      Compression numbers are good. I'm going to not worry about it right now. If I need to do head work down the road, I'll do it then.

I guess it's slam-bam-thank you-ma'am for now.
      1989 US E30 Cammed S52

Comment

I wouldn't do anything. It's been like that for tens of thousands of miles, it will keep being like that for tens of thousands more.

Comment

Originally posted by matt View Post
          I wouldn't do anything. It's been like that for tens of thousands of miles, it will keep being like that for tens of thousands more.
          thank you. this is what I needed to hear.
          1989 US E30 Cammed S52

Comment

My motor looked exactly the same way when I pulled it from my donor. FWIW, it has ~95k and I am also not planning on doing the HG.

'91 318is - OBD-II S52 swapped - E30 M3 5-lug - 5x120 BBS RC090 (E39 Style 5) - TCK D/A coilovers 550/700 [SOLD]
            '87 535i - Vacuum brake conversion [SOLD]
            '93 525iT - 5-speed swap - 320k and counting
            '09 328xi - 6-speed

Comment

been at both crossroads, do you know the car it came out of or random?

IF I knew the car and had driven it, I'd run as is.

Otherwise, pull head and drop at machine shop. You are not really doing a cheap swap sir@!!!

Better to know than not to know, S52 has grumpy oil consumption problems with rings if its been overheated prior- cost enough for me to go S54 swap on my last e36m...
              OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Working...
              X