Raceland 4 Piece Headers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Beej '86 325es View Post
    I looked at my 4 piece Racelands last night, and they clear the subframe by a mile. If anything they're close to the firewall, but not touching.
    Thanks for contributing to the thread.

Comment

I want Raceland headers... Wishno, how was installation of them? I've heard Raceland's can have clearance issues when installing or the mount holes don't always work.
      Need a part? PM me.

Get your Bass on. Luke's r3v Boxes are here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=198123

Comment

Originally posted by ck_taft325is View Post
        I want Raceland headers... Wishno, how was installation of them? I've heard Raceland's can have clearance issues when installing or the mount holes don't always work.
        Correct, my raceland longtube headers were a PIA to install due to the flange hole alignment and the subframe/sway bar clearance.

Drill out the flanges and shim your motor. I have no rasp with this set up and aside from install issues so far I am satisfied with the performance.
        Originally posted by blunttech
        Always Always go for the reach around if there is an option

Comment

Originally posted by ck_taft325is View Post
          Not too bad in my case. The holes lined up fine. It was a pain to tighten all 24 nuts though and as with most headers you need to remove the engine mount arm to get them in there.
          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

What would be better for an m50tu, the four pc or two pc long tubes?

Comment

Originally posted by AnimalE30 View Post
              What would be better for an m50tu, the four pc or two pc long tubes?
              Better as in easier to fit or better as in performance?

The 4 piece from what people are saying are a whole lot easier to fit then the raceland long tube headers. The supersprint knocks offs seem to be a toss up. Many people have had no problems and some have had fitment issues on the earlier designs.

For performance I would think the 4 piece to be pretty comparable but there would be no way to know for sure without testing. The raceland long tube 2 piece headers seem to be optimal for performance in the cheap Chinese category but are difficult to fit in an E30.

For real header performance using quality collectors get out your wallet and be ready to spend at least a grand.

Comment

Sorry if my half-awake brainless self missed it, but you guys are talking about installing these while the engine is in the car, yes?

And the 4-piece Racelands are easier to do this way?

Comment

Originally posted by Janderson View Post
                  Sorry if my half-awake brainless self missed it, but you guys are talking about installing these while the engine is in the car, yes?

Yes I swapped them with the engine in the car. Both require the same effort to install but the raceland ones fit in an e30 better and are not nearly as raspy. They do require the THR cabs though. I got rid of my supersprint ones so I did not have to shim the engine as high and to reduce rasp.
                  Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by Janderson View Post

I haven't installed them yet. I have the engine on the stand so will install these before putting the motor in.

Maybe some of the other posters can comment. Since their sounds to be no clearance issues requiring them to be modified, they should be easier to install then the long tube racelands which require based on feedback I have gathered reading other threads.

1. Shimming
                    2. Header bending/hammering
                    3. Subframe modification usually with a hammer and some heat.
                    4. Flange modfication

Disclaimer: This info was gathered by other posters. I have no 1st hand knowledge. There is so much information scattered all over the place on the inexpensive headers but it's not always clear on which headers are being discussed (2 piece US Supersprint Knock Offs, 2 Piece Raceland Long tube Header with large diameter pipes and 4 piece Raceland headers), people just say ebay headers.

Comment

Originally posted by kevnj View Post
                      Better as in easier to fit or better as in performance?

The 4 piece from what people are saying are a whole lot easier to fit then the raceland long tube headers. The supersprint knocks offs seem to be a toss up. Many people have had no problems and some have had fitment issues on the earlier designs.

For performance I would think the 4 piece to be pretty comparable but there would be no way to know for sure without testing. The raceland long tube 2 piece headers seem to be optimal for performance in the cheap Chinese category but are difficult to fit in an E30.

For real header performance using quality collectors get out your wallet and be ready to spend at least a grand.
                      Yeah, I should have been more specific - I was referring to performance wise.

My brother has a set of the long tubes that we will try first. If we can make them work and I like the sound I'll go with those. If not, I'll pick up the four pc. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                      X