M52 connector help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M52 connector help

i am trying to figure out some connectors, just to make sure i have everything plugged in correctly.

Click image for larger version

Name:	vanos.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	7221646

Can someone identify 1, and do i need number 2? The engine runs, im trying to figure out a misfire issue, i dont think my vanos is working as the engine does not have any changes whether or not vanos is plugged in.

Also, the vanos connector goes down below the manifold, and connects into a plug that comes off of a y shaped plastic covering (the other lead goes to the coolant temp sensor)?

Its an obd II m52 with m50 manifold conversion

Thanks

On My 98 S52 OBD II the two connectors that come off the Y are connected to the vanos and the injector connection just below your #1 in the picture, not to the temp sensor. However my S52 is not yet in the car so I do not know if mine is correct either.

Seth

Comment

you were right seth, the y connector does go to number 1 and vanos. i just double checked it now that i have daylight. anyone know what number 2 is for?

i also checked the harness side of my vanos connector, i think i may have a bad ground or a broken wire, cause i got 12.3v with key on, eng off at pin 1 (+) and no ground reading at pin 2 (-). when i removed the solenoid and applied power to it, the pin in the middle jumped straight away, but it took a couple seconds to return, is that normal?

Comment

I just did the m50 intake conversion last weekend on my OBDII m52. I am pretty sure you do need #2 in your picture. I'll check my car when I get home to see what it's connected to.
        M/S52 Wiring Diagrams
        Z3M S52 to late model 325i wiring diagram
        M52 to 318is wiring diagram

Comment

#2 goes to the secondary air pump solenoid that was originally in between intake runners #1 and #2. It is not necessary to run the engine. It will throw a code/CEL but will not affect performance. I have mine hooked up to the connector but the vacuum line that goes around to the secondary air pump (which I took out) is just plugged off. You can probably just plug off the vacuum line that goes to the solenoid and remove the solenoid all together.
          M/S52 Wiring Diagrams
          Z3M S52 to late model 325i wiring diagram
          M52 to 318is wiring diagram

Comment

Cool, thanks for the info snafu. My secondary air injection was one of the first things to go lol.

Comment

Working...
            X