No announcement yet.

Official Electric Fan wiring thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK I just installed the IE 14 inch electric fan as a pusher. I don't have AC so the fan fits in the AC/Aux fan spot nicely. I have the 82C fan switch in the radiator and all wired up to the original wiring. My problem is that the coolant temp gets above the half way mark and the fan doesn't kick on. If I jumper the switch the fan comes on and everything is good to go. So, bad switch? Actually I have two of the same switches and nothing happens with either. Two bad switches? One is brand new. I guess I should test the switch in 82c water.
    Any ideas?
    Gus

Comment

Well I tested the switch and it works perfectly. I put it back in and let the car get hot. The fan doesn't kick on until just before the tick after center (~3/4) which is too hot for my comfort zone. Do you think this has to do with the plastic sides of my stock radiator? Could my temp readout be off a little bit? Is there a lower temp switch I can put in there instead of the 80C?

Comment

Bleed cooling System.

Check Us out on Facebook
        Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
        Full Product Line Tuning
        OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

Originally posted by 328ijunkie View Post
          Bleed cooling System.
          It's bled. I made sure there wasn't any air near the switch by cracking it open while running. I could hear a little hiss of air escape. I also jacked the pass side of the car up to get any bubbles out of that corner and along the top of the radiator.

Comment

Radiator 100 years old? WP 100 years old?

Check Us out on Facebook
            Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
            Full Product Line Tuning
            OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

Radiator 100 years old? WP 100 years old?
              My whole cooling system is only a few years old. I just did a flush, replaced the hose that was starting to get chewed by the fan, and replaced the thermostat. Car is running steady near the center mark. Even on the track the temp only goes up a little bit. I don't know what it could be. Maybe I should try swapping the temp sender to see if it is reading wrong/off a bit?

Comment

Originally posted by E30Gus View Post
                OK I just installed the IE 14 inch electric fan as a pusher. I don't have AC so the fan fits in the AC/Aux fan spot nicely. I have the 82C fan switch in the radiator and all wired up to the original wiring. My problem is that the coolant temp gets above the half way mark and the fan doesn't kick on. If I jumper the switch the fan comes on and everything is good to go. So, bad switch? Actually I have two of the same switches and nothing happens with either. Two bad switches? One is brand new. I guess I should test the switch in 82c water.
                Any ideas?
                Gus
                I am in the same position. When jumping the switch fan engages perfectly but when temp gauge occasionally creeps up above half way point no fan. Iv tried both the stock 92C and 82C temp switch, both have been new.

Radiator is bled, and under normal driving temp stays below half way mark.

Comment

If the car runs at half with the 80C thermostat then youre fine. It should be a decent bit below half at cruise and a bit over half when the fan kicks on in all of my experience. It should def not ever cross 3/4 but from the sound of it your temp gauge is a little off.

Check Us out on Facebook
                  Full Product Line Tuning

Comment

Same thing here. Bought an aftermarket 80/88 and the fan would not kick on by itself. So I tried an OEM 80/88 and still no dice. Jumpering the fan at the plug works both high and low speeds. I returned the OEM switch and am awaiting a replacement, we'll see what happens.

'91 318is - OBD-II S52 swapped - E30 M3 5-lug - 5x120 BBS RC090 (E39 Style 5) - TCK D/A coilovers 550/700 [SOLD]
                    '87 535i - Vacuum brake conversion [SOLD]
                    '93 525iT - 5-speed swap - 320k and counting
                    '09 328xi - 6-speed

Comment

I have the 80C thermostat and the 80/88C Z3 three pole switch. However, I kept the stock wiring and replaced the stock resistor with a small circuit. I then hooked a 16" SPAL to the 'factory' leads and I get adjustable low speed at 80C or when the AC is on and high speed at 88C. Like it was from the factory - and I can adjust the low speed via a pot in the little circuit. I think it's a better idea than just running high speed all the time because my fan is LOUD at high speed (I got the fastest SPAL 16", straight blade, yes, it moves a lot of air but it will drown out the engine at idle rather nicely).
                      Incidentally, the circuit I put toghether is a stupid transistor constant voltage deal, a PWM would probably be a better idea.
                      Incidentally II, I also tend to be of the opinion that everyone is running these engines way too cool. I didn't put in the 80C thermostat and I may yet replace it.

Comment

Gooch, Got an IR thermo? or even a lighter? Try manually heating the fan switch and see if it fires...

Check Us out on Facebook
                        Full Product Line Tuning

Comment

I would use a pot of water, not a lighter...

Comment

lol, ^ yes. Lighter is easier. You dont need to cook it just warm it up a bit. If you cook it you could break the element but yes.

Check Us out on Facebook
                            Full Product Line Tuning

Comment

Gooch, Got an IR thermo? or even a lighter? Try manually heating the fan switch and see if it fires...
                              Picking up my new fan switch tonight, and going to see what exactly is going on with an IR thermometer over the weekend. Will report back.

'91 318is - OBD-II S52 swapped - E30 M3 5-lug - 5x120 BBS RC090 (E39 Style 5) - TCK D/A coilovers 550/700 [SOLD]
                              '09 328xi - 6-speed

Comment

Just swapped in a brand new OEM fan switch and both low and high speeds kicked on. Two brand new, but faulty fan switches were my problem. One was OEM and one was aftermarket, FWIW. Thanks for all the help, guys.

'09 328xi - 6-speed

Comment

Working...
                                X