Official Electric Fan wiring thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gooch View Post
    Just swapped in a brand new OEM fan switch and both low and high speeds kicked on. Two brand new, but faulty fan switches were my problem. One was OEM and one was aftermarket, FWIW. Thanks for all the help, guys.
    Think I got a new faulty fan switch as well!
    Heated water in a pot to a little over the temperature where it should close and plugged it in, put in water and nothing.

:hitler:
    Last edited by craiggroves91; 11-20-2012, 10:27 AM.
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

1989 BMW 325i SOLD
    1998 BMW Estoril Blue e36 M3/4/5 SOLD
    1987 BMW 325 (The Piece) SOLD
    1991 BMW 318is S52 swap (The Beast) Now Driving Project Thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=234207

Comment

So much for quality control, sigh.

Comment

Did anyone replace the aux fan with the Spal 14" pusher? I wonder if I can utilize the stock mounting hardware. And how quiet is it compared to the stock aux fan?
        90 E30 S50B30
        http://www.fquick.com/roadhazard/

Comment

I used an autozone wiring kit with a thermostatic switch for my 16 spal inch puller. Simple wiring and the fan works perfectly.

-NICK

Comment

I have a SPAL 16" in place of the stock aux fan and it needed custom mounts. Quiet.. well, mine is the straight-blade high CFM version, so as I mentioned in another post I had to make a circuit to keep it on low most of the time. It actually seems to be enough, which leads me to believe a more moderate 16" model from SPAL should work.
            Disclaimer: I do not live in AZ.

Comment

Guys I am going insane. I just bought another 2 prong white top switch and the fan won't turn on by itself. What's the deal? when I touch the wires together the fan turns on, isn't the switch supposed to close the circuit? so in theory if the switch was working it would turn on?

Maybe its an issue with something else? Or the switch isn't getting hot enough?

Is this due to the thermostat I'm running? I'm running the e36 m3 88 C and the expansion tank keeps overflowing

Just put my new fan switch in water a little over 80 C and nothing happened?! DAFUQQQ!!!
              Last edited by craiggroves91; 12-10-2012, 05:06 PM.
              Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

1989 BMW 325i SOLD
              1991 BMW 318is S52 swap (The Beast) Now Driving Project Thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=234207

Comment

Wait... two prong? and.. I think you mean 'when I touch the wires toghether the fan turns ON'?
                Try with the pot of water method...

Comment

Originally posted by nmlss2006 View Post
                  Wait... two prong? and.. I think you mean 'when I touch the wires toghether the fan turns ON'?
                  Try with the pot of water method...
                  Yes two prong. Yeah thats what I meant, I fixed it.

I've tried the pot of water for both switches and neither worked. There is no way I got two faulty switches is there?

1989 BMW 325i SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by cjdontthink View Post
                    Yes two prong. Yeah thats what I meant, I fixed it.

I've tried the pot of water for both switches and neither worked. There is no way I got two faulty switches is there?
                    Doubtful.

Protip: M44 sensors are the AKA lower temp version.
                    Originally posted by 325Projectz
                    don't listen to the diagram... listen to mr. swiss.
                    :nice:

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.SWISS View Post
                      Doubtful.

Protip: M44 sensors are the AKA lower temp version.
                      Well thats what its looking like and its pissing me off.

I can't keep throwing money and damn switches. I should just run the fan low speed all the time or something.

1989 BMW 325i SOLD

Comment

Well, let's look at it logically. The switch isn't closing the circuit. The switch isn't closing when you stick it in a pot of water either. Now, for lack of any other evidence, I would say 'the switch is faulty'. Was the temperature of the water in the pot verified?
                        I'm curious though, why two prong? The switches usually put in the radiator to run the fan are three prong, with a low temp and a high temp...

Comment

Originally posted by nmlss2006 View Post
                          Well, let's look at it logically. The switch isn't closing the circuit. The switch isn't closing when you stick it in a pot of water either. Now, for lack of any other evidence, I would say 'the switch is faulty'. Was the temperature of the water in the pot verified?
                          I'm curious though, why two prong? The switches usually put in the radiator to run the fan are three prong, with a low temp and a high temp...
                          I used a thermometer..
                          The only issue could be the switch

two prong, because I'm only utilizing high speed like mentioned by the OP in the first post

1989 BMW 325i SOLD

Comment

Well, then the switch is bad. There's no way around that, I'm afraid...

Comment

guys can i get a little bit of advice here please:

i am swapping a Euro S50 into my E30 m3.

i will either be using an M42 or original E36 M3 radiator..

i have the 2 pront fan switch that 328ijunkie suggested in the first post and also have a 16" SPAL Pusher fan also mounted to the radiator.

I have taken out all AC stuff, including condensor and aux fan.

What is the best way to wire in the electric fan and will it have low and high speed like stock aux fan??

Comment

Originally posted by Rajvosa View Post
                                guys can i get a little bit of advice here please:

i am swapping a Euro S50 into my E30 m3.

i will either be using an M42 or original E36 M3 radiator..

i have the 2 pront fan switch that 328ijunkie suggested in the first post and also have a 16" SPAL Pusher fan also mounted to the radiator.

I have taken out all AC stuff, including condensor and aux fan.

What is the best way to wire in the electric fan and will it have low and high speed like stock aux fan??

this is what I copied. go to post #57 use stock wire harness/ resistor
                                My CA legal M60 swap

The happening in our garage

Comment

Working...
                                X