Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

S50, ZF320, rebuilt threaded starter from advance auto repeatedly clicks on "start"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S50, ZF320, rebuilt threaded starter from advance auto repeatedly clicks on "start"

I'm trying to start my car. In a time crunch at this point. My setup is a '95 S50 with a rebuilt ZF320 and the stock S50 flywheel.

I brought the original starter to get checked and it was bad, the gear spun but didn't extend to engage the flywheel. A threaded (S52) starter came up on bimmerforums so I snagged it after reading how much easier the threaded starters are to handle. I researched and found that S52 starter is compatible.

My mistake, I didn't test that starter. Dropped the motor in and when I turned the key to start, it clicked one time (solenoid sound), and clicked again when I turned the key back to start. Seemed it was extending but not spinning (not sure if that is even possible, if it extends via centrifugal force).

I checked all the leads and they seemed correct. I actually took the nuts off the studs at one point to check before removing it, leaving the wires resting on the studs, and it cranked, and everything worked as it should, fuel spit from the line. Did that a couple times. Reinstalled the nuts on the wires and checked again before buttoning up, and it repeated the bad symptoms of earlier. Could not replicate cranking.

Went to advance auto parts with my original S50 bad starter to core exchange on a '95 unthreaded starter. Wasn't right for my original bracket, and was a huge PITA. Didn't even install it, went back for a threaded starter. Got it on quickly and now on start the starter clicks very loudly (bangs, but that doesn't seem like a good word) repeatedly while the key is at "start". Seems to be hitting the flywheel? I'm getting very frustrated. Please advise if these issues ring any bells for anyone.

Did you confirm that it has the same tooth pattern as the flywheel? If they're different, it won't work.

Comment

God only knows what starter one will get from auto zone/advance auto stores...I had to go thru 3starters until they finally got it right.count the teeth..
      NASA
      BMWCCA member
      PCA member 25yrs

1991 318IS slick top
      1997 M3 sedan
      2001 325CI DD

“whoever turns the wheel the least, wins"

Comment

comparing them, the teeth did look to be the same. the threaded starter from advance looked good.

Comment

Is the starter making a metallic sound like its stripping or is it staying engaged too long?

With my 8lb flywheel my starter sometimes seems to stay engaged too long on occasion. It sorta sounds like its being spun way too fast. It def could just be a bad starter though. I have had bad experiences with waterpumps, axles, and starters from advance/autozone.

-Nick

Comment

well I'm an ass. engine ground strap was the problem.
            Last edited by butters; 07-06-2011, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X