*Power steering / crankcase vent questions*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

*Power steering / crankcase vent questions*

Ive been working on my m52b28 swap for ~3 months now. Im at the last steps of the swap and Im getting stuck on a few problems...

First off, which high pressure power steering line should I use for a m52 / e36 steering rack combo? The line I need is from the rack to the ps pump. I have the e36 lines and there is no way they will work, and unfortunately, I do not have the m20 ps lines to see if they fit. Ive heard the stock e30 lines work, but I just want some clarification before I order them.

Second, What is the best way to connect the crankcase ventilation (ccv) to the intake? I have the obd2 valve cover. Can I just run a hose from the valve cover to the intake boot? Im worried about getting oil residue all over the throttle body and intake. I am a perfectionist and I do not want to ghetto rig it. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    ^M52B28^

I am about at the same point in my swap.....any ccv help, ie a diagram, would be great!

Comment

What I did was use the original fitting that goes into the valve cover. I plugged the smaller line. For the Main breather line I put a 90 and then a breather filter from advance auto on. You can see it in the picture.. I don't think its ghetto.

Comment

Cant speak on the powersteering because i dont have any currently. What I have done:

Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

Item #9 on the conversion list. Basically because you have a plastic valve cover, you have to find a way to secure the obd1 oil seperator. I used a length of hose similar to the one used in the conversion thread I posted.

The tiny barb fitting attaches to a hose that goes to the connector for the ICV that mounts on the underside of the intake manifold. The larger fitting connects to the bottom of the intake boot. There should be two holes at the bottom of your intake boot (assuming you're using the obd1 throttle body and boot) the one closest to the MAF is for the ICV and the other one connects to the oil seperator.

Once you look at the oil separator, this will all make sense.
        Originally posted by ebelements
        Also, for those who don't know, negative camber is the greatest thing since sliced bread(panera). Even tire wear is for city busses and the elderly.

Comment

Originally posted by sticksdaman View Post
          Cant speak on the powersteering because i dont have any currently. What I have done:

Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

Item #9 on the conversion list. Basically because you have a plastic valve cover, you have to find a way to secure the obd1 oil seperator. I used a length of hose similar to the one used in the conversion thread I posted.

The tiny barb fitting attaches to a hose that goes to the connector for the ICV that mounts on the underside of the intake manifold. The larger fitting connects to the bottom of the intake boot. There should be two holes at the bottom of your intake boot (assuming you're using the obd1 throttle body and boot) the one closest to the MAF is for the ICV and the other one connects to the oil seperator.

Once you look at the oil separator, this will all make sense.
          Thanks for your help.

So what you are saying is... On this diagram, I need to buy #1 and get a hose that will connect it to the obd2 valve cover. Then hose #3 goes to the intake boot and #4 is the barbed connector from the hose to the intake boot. Hose #5 goes to the connector on the bottom of the intake manifold where the ICV connects.

Crankcase-Ventilation - BMW parts catalog

What is the reason for the vacuum line that runs to the botttom of the intake manifold? The crankcase is under positive pressure and does not need vacuum.
          What would be the benefit of running the setup listed above?
          and what would be wrong with running a hose directly from the valve cover to the intake boot?

Thanks again :D
          ^M52B28^

Comment

I think it has to due with the car at idle. Throttle body open and it mainly vents to the boot. Closed it probable uses the smaller hose some. Not sure on this though.

I have thought about running an air/oil sperator like the OBD2 cars but I'm not getting a lot of blow by yet. I will worry about that latter.

Something like this is what some of the guys on tech use that track their cars.
            Last edited by samiam3356; 07-27-2011, 09:18 AM.

Originally posted by Roysneon
            $5 shipped?
            Originally posted by MarkD
            You are a strange dude, I'n not answering any more posts from you.

Comment

Originally posted by samiam3356 View Post
              I think it has to due with the car at idle. Throttle body open and it mainly vents to the boot. Closed it probable uses the smaller hose some. Not sure on this though.

I have thought about running an air/oil sperator like the OBD2 cars but I'm not getting a lot of blow by yet. I will worry about that latter.
              I could use my cyclonic oil separator, but where would the oil drain to? The e34 dipstick does not have a fitting for the drain like the m52 dipstick does.

Also, have people run oil catch cans? That seems like an easy fix as well...
              ^M52B28^

Comment

Oh and if anyone knows what power steering line to use, that would be greatly appreciated!
                ^M52B28^

Comment

Wouldn't be too hard to fab something like that up if you wanted to use it.

$5 shipped?

Comment

You will shit a brick when you see how much the e30 HP line costs. I suggest a trip to the pick and pull.

Some guys have gotten the e36 line modified by a hydraulics shop for less than the cost of the e30 line as well.

'89 Alpine S52 with goodies

Comment

Get them made up like he said. pretty sure BMW just went up on those hoses as well

$5 shipped?

Comment

So are we saying that the m20 hose will fit the m52 and e36 rack?

I just looked on bmwfans and Im kicking myself for throwing away the m20 hoses...
                        ^M52B28^

Comment

Originally posted by I*Do*Werke View Post
                          So are we saying that the m20 hose will fit the m52 and e36 rack?

I just looked on bmwfans and Im kicking myself for throwing away the m20 hoses...
                          Cmon some one has to know the answer!! I need to order a hose asap!
                          ^M52B28^

Comment

I can get a new e30 hose from guten parts for $75 shipped. Ill buy it if someone tells me it will fit for sure...
                            ^M52B28^

Comment

I'm using a stock E30 high pressure line on mine (I have an E46 rack in the car). If I recall the rack side is fine its the pump side that's the issue. The pump side banjo bolt is a larger diameter than the factory E30 bolt (E36 banjo bolt won't fit in the E30 line as it sits), I ended up opening up the pumps side of E30 line with a uni-bit. I've been running it that way for over a year (this car is a track rat) with nary a leak, also I don't use copper crush washers, I've had way better luck with hydraulic line fittings from mcmaster carr, the rubber/viton (depending on availability, I get viton if i can) and steel seal washers work much better with surface minor imperfections, in my opinion (YMMV of course).
                              Greg 1987 325is (fairly far from stock at this point)

Comment

Working...
                              X