HELP! need info on serp belt setup...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! need info on serp belt setup...

hello to all, i am currently doing a s52 motor swap into a 84 325e. i have recently purchased one of the power steering blockoff plates that eliminates the pump/etc... so my question is: what belt do i get, what tensioner do i use, and what belt routing do i use? so basically i would have the alternator/crank/tensioner/and waterpump. thanks in advance to all who help out/provide info!

Also i am trying to find underdrive pulleys for my motor. All i would need would be the alternator pulley (which is a bosch 80amp) and the waterpump pulley. so if anyone has them for sale or knows where to get a kit with just what i need, that info would also be awesome!

thanks again
    J
    Need Volkswagen/Audi/TDI/BMW service or performance??? Check us out online at www.pdautowerks.com

Call or email us today to setup an appointment!
    jeremyhoover@pdautowerks.com

PD Autowerks track car- 1984 BMW 325e...http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=239899

I'm almost sure pulleys are designed for power steering pump, water pump, and alternator. UUC has a set its just PS and WP. It goes for $198 modd bargains. But again if you eliminating the PS, not sure if they gonna be useful to you. There is a link on here on what belt to use, just search, I will send it to you if I stumble across it, because I also need the belt part# being that I'm also eliminating mine.
    sigpic

Comment

sigpic

Comment

Just remove the PS pump and use the tensioner you already have. The part numbers in that thread didn't do me much good. I routed a piece of string, measured the length, went to Advance Auto and told them what length belt I needed. I took the water pump pulley along to make sure the width and number of ribs was correct.
        sigpic
        Bodykit courtesy of BMW M GmbH.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewK View Post
          Just remove the PS pump and use the tensioner you already have. The part numbers in that thread didn't do me much good. I routed a piece of string, measured the length, went to Advance Auto and told them what length belt I needed. I took the water pump pulley along to make sure the width and number of ribs was correct.
          Whats you take on not having PS? Is it worth not having?
          sigpic

Comment

I used 6pk1410 on my s50 it fit perfect with the idler still on.

Comment

Originally posted by Boosted E30 View Post
              I used 6pk1410 on my s50 it fit perfect with the idler still on.
              That is with the power steering pump removed?
              91' 318is - OBDI M52/ZF swap w/ S50 cams

Comment

Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by sohc12vm20 View Post
                  Whats you take on not having PS? Is it worth not having?
                  I love it! I had already removed it before swapping engines. Then when my S52 arrived, the PS pump had been damaged in shipping. I decided to install without PS knowing I could always put it back in later. Here I am a few months later and haven't looked back.

Tough to parallel park and get in and out of tight spaces and you're going to need to use both arms, but once moving it feels great. Spent a full weekend with it on track and didn't get tired. I'm scrawny so if I can handle it most anyone with reasonable upper body strength should be fine.
                  sigpic
                  Bodykit courtesy of BMW M GmbH.

Comment

Originally posted by Boosted E30 View Post
                    Yes.
                    Cool, thanks.

I also read elsewhere that 6pk1415 works with the idler still attached.
                    91' 318is - OBDI M52/ZF swap w/ S50 cams

Comment

Ya that should be fine too. I just could find one at the time so i went with the 1410 and it worked out fine.

As mentioned above its a little tough to park but everything else is fantastic, i drove with and without PS on the track and its 192746632829x better without theres so much more feel in the steering.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewK View Post
                        I love it! I had already removed it before swapping engines. Then when my S52 arrived, the PS pump had been damaged in shipping. I decided to install without PS knowing I could always put it back in later. Here I am a few months later and haven't looked back.

Tough to parallel park and get in and out of tight spaces and you're going to need to use both arms, but once moving it feels great. Spent a full weekend with it on track and didn't get tired. I'm scrawny so if I can handle it most anyone with reasonable upper body strength should be fine.
                        Thanks.. Makes sense, I can always put it back on later if I don't like it..
                        sigpic

Comment

thanks very much guys i will get that belt size! and i agree with Boosted e30, the steering feel is gonna be nice to drive with on the track!
                          Need Volkswagen/Audi/TDI/BMW service or performance??? Check us out online at www.pdautowerks.com

Call or email us today to setup an appointment!
                          jeremyhoover@pdautowerks.com

PD Autowerks track car- 1984 BMW 325e...http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=239899

Comment

Working...
                          X