Oil Level Sender - Confusion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Level Sender - Confusion.

I am swapping in a 1992 M50NV into my 1987 E30.

The E36 M50 wiring harness does not have a 3-pin plug for the Oil Level Sender located at the bottom of the pan.

What do I need to do in order to splice this into the harness, or run it to the gauge/OBC in order for it to be utilized?

I have searched around and found a guy named Nitro that was making adapters back in 2009, but there were no instructions for how and where the wires went.

Any information or links to a DIY would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

How are you wiring the C101? The Oil Level sensor is wired through it.

Check Us out on Facebook
    Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
    Full Product Line Tuning
    OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

The e36 X20 doesnt have a oil level sensor, only the e34 X20...iirc. I put new pins onto the X20 so the car can detect the signal. Just match up the blue/yellow, blue/white to the harness and ground the brown.

COTM

Comment

I IM'd Nando, he replied with the following:

"You have to add the wires to the E36 harness, and pin them through the C101. C101 pin 2 is for oil level sensor pin 1 (low); C101 pin 10 is for oil level sensor pin 3 (full). pin 2 of the oil level sensor needs to go to ground (either spliced into a harness ground or on the engine/chassis somewhere)."

Hope this helps anyone else doing an M50 from an E36 swap.

Comment

I added the harness for the oil level sensor into the swap adapter harness that I fabbed up. Just hook the proper wires on the sensor cable (1 and 3, 2 is ground) to the wires at C101, and you will be in the money (dont have my ETM in front of me at the moment, or I would say what ones....)
          I saved 15% on my Bimmer parts by switching to ...

Comment

Working...
          X