couple vaccum questions, one about my driveshaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

couple vaccum questions, one about my driveshaft

well, it's together now, now I have to start it - I want to make sure I double-check my work before I go ahead and give it the lifeblood we call power.

1.) I have a vaccum nipple on the bottom of the FPR, that goes to the underside of the intake?

2.) I deleted the valve on the back of the engine towards the heatercore and just ran a coolant line into the heater core and the spider hose connects directly to the correct port on the heater-core, is this going to cause any issues besides the ability to only get heat?

3.) Where does the crank case ventilator plug into on the other end of the hose?

4.) I deleted my charcoal canister, I have my fuel supply going to the front of the fuel rail, and the return on the back of the rail, I have a third that I labeled "Vapor" but it's just an open hose, will this ever have fluid out of it? As I understand it, I should be able to put some sort of breather on it and just let it hang in the engine bay somewhere?

5.) Grounds - Passenger side engine arm is grounded, the fuel rail needs a ground (what gauge wire?), ECU has a grounded already, Does the driver's side need a ground too, or am I missing any other block-specific grounds (not including harness grounds)

6.) there was one eyelet on the diagnostic plug side of the E36 harness with a brown(?) and brown/orange wire on it, I grounded that - is that the "brown" ground that everybody else mentions, or was that something else?

7.) The AFM plug also has a two or three prong plug, what is that supposed to connect to?

8.) I've got an E36 325i driveshaft for my Getrag 240 transmission, it's installed but without the little snap ring that seats the CSB dust shield. Which one will fit/do I need it... because the E30 CSB mounted backwards definitely doesn't sit low enough to get that snap ring back on.

91 318i | 87 535iS

4 of 8...

I can help with a few of these...

1.) Yes

3.) Which motor? S50/M50 the plug has two lines - skinny line goes to side of the "turkey neck" hose leading from the ICV to the Manifold, thick line goes to one of two holes on the underside of the intake elbow

5.) Seems good to me - as long as you have the two coils grounds to the valve cover.

6.) This is correct - those brown and brown/orange lines are grounds.

7.) Evaporative Emissions Control valve. Since you deleted your Charcoal Cannister, I am not sure what you do with this. If you search, I think folks have figured out a resistor to put inline so your DME doesn't get angry with you and throw a CEL if you don't use the valve.
    Current:
    1991 325i Sedan - S50 Swap
    1988 325i Cabrio

Past:
    1991 M3
    1991 318is
    1985 325e

Comment

Originally posted by hwy84 View Post
      I can help with a few of these...

1.) Yes

3.) Which motor? S50/M50 the plug has two lines - skinny line goes to side of the "turkey neck" hose leading from the ICV to the Manifold, thick line goes to one of two holes on the underside of the intake elbow

5.) Seems good to me - as long as you have the two coils grounds to the valve cover.

6.) This is correct - those brown and brown/orange lines are grounds.

7.) Evaporative Emissions Control valve. Since you deleted your Charcoal Cannister, I am not sure what you do with this. If you search, I think folks have figured out a resistor to put inline so your DME doesn't get angry with you and throw a CEL if you don't use the valve.
      1.) is it the position by the IAT plug?
      3.) M50nv, I think that makes sense...
      5.) I have the grounds from the coils to the engine, but will it run without the brackets that connect the coils to each other? Theoretically, it would make sense that when the coils are plugged in they should be grounded, aye?
      7.) hmm, forgot about that computer do-hicky, I could always just plug in the valve and have it connected to the line maybe? I don't know how it works, so looks like more reading

91 318i | 87 535iS

Comment

Originally posted by ScHpAnKy View Post
        1.) is it the position by the IAT plug? yes
        3.) M50nv, I think that makes sense... small one goes to 9 in below pic big hose goes to intake boot
        5.) I have the grounds from the coils to the engine, but will it run without the brackets that connect the coils to each other? Theoretically, it would make sense that when the coils are plugged in they should be grounded, aye? Yeah it will run without the plates
        7.) hmm, forgot about that computer do-hicky, I could always just plug in the valve and have it connected to the line maybe? I don't know how it works, so looks like more reading It is supposed to go though the purge valve and into the bottom of the throttle body next to the throttle body heater ports.

Comment

Originally posted by nwvb bmw View Post
          Thank you, your post was most informative :)
          Looks like I need to get a breather for the vapor hose as plumbing it to the throttlebody can destroy my gas tank from the vacuum it produces.

I also need to swap the lines under my intake, from what I've learned here...

still these questions remain:

7.) The AFM plug also has a two or three prong plug, what is that supposed to connect to?

8.) I've got an E36 325i driveshaft for my Getrag 240 transmission, it's installed but without the little snap ring that seats the CSB dust shield. Which one will fit/do I need it... because the E30 CSB mounted backwards definitely doesn't sit low enough to get that snap ring back on.

91 318i | 87 535iS

Comment

bump :(

gonna be taking a look at it tomorrow and hopefully starting it!

91 318i | 87 535iS

Comment

Working...
            X