Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have experience with feramic clutches, south bend / DXD in particular?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone have experience with feramic clutches, south bend / DXD in particular?

I've been running a south bend / DXD stage 1 feramic clutch between my S50 & ZF trans. It came with the motor, PO claimed 1.5k miles on the clutch. So I now have a total of maybe 2500 miles on it. Motor is about to go back in from being rebuilt, but I was a little unsure about the clutch and I'd rather be safe than sorry. If I recall correctly, it looks to have about .150" of life left, judging from the raised portions of the disc. I have no benchmark to go off of as a comparison. I know that the feramic is supposed to have great life, so it may not be a concern, but does anyone have any thoughts on how to gauge the remaining life of a clutch disc? I'll try to get photos today.

Call South Bend, they are good people

Comment

No idea on life but from what I have heard they don't like being slipped much. They tend to weld themselves to the flywheel if you slip the clutch too much.

'89 Alpine S52 with goodies

Comment

Originally posted by Adrian_Visser View Post
        No idea on life but from what I have heard they don't like being slipped much. They tend to weld themselves to the flywheel if you slip the clutch too much.

By too much slip you mean being slow on the release at takeoff? Hopefully the sprung hub helps with that in a small way but I'll be careful, though I consider myself an experienced clutch-user.

Comment

what is the total thickness ov the disc from surface to surface?

Comment

Originally posted by Dominic49 View Post
            what is the total thickness ov the disc from surface to surface?
            It's all back together now, the clutch is just fine and as it was previously. Overall thickness was in the .25-.35 range if I had to guess, plenty of meat on there.

Comment

Working...
            X