Shifter carrier Confusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shifter carrier Confusion

So I know that this topic has been discussed thoroughly, but I just can't seem to find a dignified answer in what I should do. So bare with me thanks.

Its a zf trans from 97 m3 in 89 325i vert. The zf came with a UUC short
    Shifter, and from what I can tell stock shifter. When I went to hook up the linkage it was about 5 inches too short.

Is there a way I can keep the short shifter and use different linkage? If so what lincage/carrier should i use? Thanks
    1989 E30 Zinnoberrot Vert 325i OBD1 S52 turbo;IP

Use the e36 shiter carrier and linkage.

Comment

I tried that but the carrier doesnt reach the spot where it sits in the body. It was a few inches too short. Am I missing something?

Comment

do you have your old m20 stuff? try it first, I know nothing about ZF trans in e30s sorry

Please leave feedback below, thanks

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=358170

Comment

Im using the stock E30 Eta carrier and linkage in my 87 Vert, with a stock E46 lever.

E46 carrier is too long to use as stock, needs shortened about 1" to be PERFECT, E30 carrier is a bit short (about 3/4 inch) as the mount for the lever is JUST inside the hole in the tunnel for the shifter to come through.

I cannot speak for E36, as I dont have one to compare it to, but from what I understand leaves the lever offset to the drivers side compared to E30. E46 carrier when shortened would leave the lever dead centered. (Im having mine welded back together here in a week or so, Ill post pics then)
          I saved 15% on my Bimmer parts by switching to ...

Comment

Originally posted by Matt-B View Post
            do you have your old m20 stuff? try it first, I know nothing about ZF trans in e30s sorry
            I don't. i wish i did. i sold it when i sold the m20.
            if the e30 carrier works with e36 shift lever i can always pick one up at a junk yard.

Originally posted by scottinAZ View Post
            Im using the stock E30 Eta carrier and linkage in my 87 Vert, with a stock E46 lever.

E46 carrier is too long to use as stock, needs shortened about 1" to be PERFECT, E30 carrier is a bit short (about 3/4 inch) as the mount for the lever is JUST inside the hole in the tunnel for the shifter to come through.

I cannot speak for E36, as I dont have one to compare it to, but from what I understand leaves the lever offset to the drivers side compared to E30. E46 carrier when shortened would leave the lever dead centered. (Im having mine welded back together here in a week or so, Ill post pics then)
            what transmission are you using?

if the e30 is too short I dont want to use it. IIRC the shift linkage with the e30 g260 trans is the combo that makes it sit offset, unlike with the zf.

please let me know how it goes with the e46 fab. i might be able to source one of those and have it welded.

i would really like to keep the UUC short shifter (it came with the M3 when i bought it; 1997), but i guess if need be i'll have to get something different. i was always under the impression the e36 m3 linkage would fit but that doesnt look like the case.

from reading this post it sounds like the e36 linkage will work. but there's mixed responses.

edit: seeing post #35 in that thread; i dont have the metal triangle/squarish piece that connects the carrier to the body. im thinkin that is what i am missing.
            Last edited by SwiftE30; 12-08-2011, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SwiftE30 View Post
              I don't. i wish i did. i sold it when i sold the m20.
              if the e30 carrier works with e36 shift lever i can always pick one up at a junk yard.

what transmission are you using?

if the e30 is too short I dont want to use it. IIRC the shift linkage with the e30 g260 trans is the combo that makes it sit offset, unlike with the zf.

please let me know how it goes with the e46 fab. i might be able to source one of those and have it welded.

i would really like to keep the UUC short shifter (it came with the M3 when i bought it; 1997), but i guess if need be i'll have to get something different. i was always under the impression the e36 m3 linkage would fit but that doesnt look like the case.

from reading this post it sounds like the e36 linkage will work. but there's mixed responses.

edit: seeing post #35 in that thread; i dont have the metal triangle/squarish piece that connects the carrier to the body. im thinkin that is what i am missing.
              using a zf320 trans.

Comment

I was told you have to use a zf specific carrier and selector rod on the ZF.

Sounds right with the unique slave et al.
                Originally posted by 325Projectz
                don't listen to the diagram... listen to mr. swiss.
                :nice:

Comment

Stock late model M20 stuff will kind of work with a zf. Kind of being the operative word.

Check Us out on Facebook
                  Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
                  Full Product Line Tuning
                  OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

Originally posted by 328ijunkie View Post
                    Stock late model M20 stuff will kind of work with a zf. Kind of being the operative word.
                    Agreed, the M20 carrier just barely makes it into the hole. The linkage rod is a bit short as well, and being as the M20 rod has two different lengths on the connecting pin (where the knuckle and shift lever connect) you need to make a spacer to take up the extra length.

I should have my custom shortened E46 stuff done in a week or so, just need to find the time to get it welded and installed. that will center the lever up in the hole, and address the length of the linkage rod as well.

Comment

i think my confusion is that i am missing that metal schroud i mention earlier. Everything I've read insists that the zf trans and linkage will work together. i'll be able to check into it more when I go home next week. thanks for the help.

looking forward to the e46 fabbed linkage.

Comment

Working...
                      X