What dme am I SUPPOSED to have?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What dme am I SUPPOSED to have?

I have a 1992 bmw 325i with the m50b25 engine.

I have always really admired these cars, and I stumbled upon this one in a trade offer for a custom bobber I built.

now then, The car has always seemed a little sluggish in the lower rpm range, but i didnt really think anything of it.
    Yesterday it started missing really bad, and upon investigation i found that the #4 cylinder coil is not sparking. i hooked up a small light bulb to the coil plug and ran the car, and it wasnt getting a signal to fire from the emc.

I then referenced the manual and found that pin #50 on the DME is the signal for that coil. i checked continuity between #50 on the ecu plug and the wire on the coil plug and it is making continuity.

That leads me to believe that my DME has taken a crap on me.

I know from research, and from buying a few parts that 92 was the only year e36 with the non-vanos m50b25 engine, and after looking at my dme, something doesnt add up...

On the upper right side of the lower tag there appears to be a date (i think) and it says 11.01.96, and it is also a silver label tag, which from other research i know is a EWC ecu. i didnt think (and correct me if im wrong) that ewc was introduced until 93?

anywho, does anyone know the CORRECT DME that i need for this car?

I have included a picture of my DME.

Thanks in advance!

according to the serial number its a 07/1991 not a 96, http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do?vin=ff79896 so no EWS, i'll let the other experienced guys answer your question, i'm sure someone knows which other DME's you can use.
    Sticky:True e36 one touch windows DIY

1990 M3
    1992 Mtech (S50 + 5 Lug)

Comment

oh crap, I was so focused on the part number I didn't even notice the serial on it. It matches, so its for sure the original DME for this car.

that just leaves me with the question as to which dme's will for sure work with this car.

I'm not too horribly concerned with retaining EWS, so logically, a 402 red tag will work?

Comment

Yep a 402 Red label will work for you.

Comment

Rede30 is selling a chipped NV DME I believe.

Comment

What is an NV DME?

Pardon my stupidity, I'm new to the BMW game, have only had this car for 2 weeks

Comment

No worries, NV = Non Vanos.

Comment

Right on, I like this forum, Its not chock full of cocky kids with nothing to do but cry at you about you not being on the same level of knowledge as themselves. PROPS!

Comment

Anyone know "without a doubt" that a 405 dme will work on this car? it has a 402

Comment

Working...
                  X