Weird Cooling Issue- Overheat, no heat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird Cooling Issue- Overheat, no heat?

Alright, so here's the deal. A little background first, my 91 318is has had an s50 in it since July, with an m42 radiator and expansion tank. The motor was refreshed with a new headgasket before it was put it. It has been running perfectly since the motor was put in.

So yesterday, I was driving down the interestate, and had the heat going cause it was pretty chilly out. After maybe 10 miles, the heat stops blowing warm. I think, hmm that's odd, so I mess with the controls for a second then pull over (And no my coolant temp sensor doesn't currently work :(). A little steam was coming out of the cap. I turned the engine off and let it cool for a bit. I popped the cap off and it sprayed a bit of coolant along with this brown foam-like material (see picture below).

Got the car towed back to work to take a look. My first thought was that the water pump disintegrated since it lost heat all of a sudden. Pulled the thermostat and water pump, and they both looked fine.

So now I'm sitting here kind of stumped... Is there any way that the heater core could be the culprit? I haven't noticed any dampness in the cabin. Any insight is welcome!
    Midwest Spec E30 #64

https://www.facebook.com/thestickergarage

looks like some packing material made its way into the system. Flush the system, and see if any more crap comes out, refill, bleed and see what happens. chances are that some of that crap is plugging a passage, and most likely the heater core.
    I saved 15% on my Bimmer parts by switching to ...

Comment

Yeah, I'm going to flush it out here shortly. The question is wtf is it and where did it come from???
      Midwest Spec E30 #64

Comment

No idea what it is, but it looks just like the foam liner stuff that is on the hood.
        -Justin

sigpic

Current: BMWless for now... '15 Grand Cherokee & '03 Mach 1

Comment

Originally posted by cabin View Post
          No idea what it is, but it looks just like the foam liner stuff that is on the hood.
          I believe you're right! After the cap blew, i guess it took some of the lining off too. Now, the question is why did it overheat..
          Midwest Spec E30 #64

Comment

I tested the thermostat while it was out and it worked fine. The m42 radiator is a pain in the ass to bleed... I backed the car up on the loading dock at work to bleed for a bit. Drove it back home and the expansion tank was half empty. Luckly it's only a three mile drive from work to home, so I'm just going to check it/bleed it every time I go to/from work.

I'm still curious as to what cause the issue in the first place...
            Midwest Spec E30 #64

Comment

M42 Rad. Yuck. ;)

It may not have been bled all the way.

Check Us out on Facebook
              Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
              Full Product Line Tuning
              OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

exact same thing happended to me, minus the black crap... all i could come up with was air got in there some how. I noticed that when i pulled over the top radiator hose was hot and the bottom hose and radiator where stone cold.
                1988 325is alpine
                1989 325is zinno RIP
                1992 325ic alpine
                1986 325e cirrusblau

Comment

Little update from today... I got my Autometer water temp gauge installed into the head after work, then took a quick drive 60 mile drive. On the way there, it was running a little hot, around 210F, heat was in and out, idling kinda funny at stops...

I made a stop and topped off the expansion tank (which was halfway empty) The car wouldn't start... just crank and crank and crank. I plugged the other temp sensor connector onto the stock sensor and it started up fine... Whoops.

So on the way back it was at a solid 180F the whole way with the heat good and hot consistently. So I guess it just sucked in a bubble from somewhere?

Now I just need to get my gauge retrofitted into the cluster...
                  Midwest Spec E30 #64

Comment

Working...
                  X