M50 block deck height

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M50 block deck height

Anyone knows what is an actual deck height of M50 block?
    Is there height difference between M50/M52/M54?
    I'm asking cause I'm stuck building my 2.8 liter high compression storker,
    I know that the block height is 211mm but it seems to be wrong, cause
    84/2 stroke+140mm rod+28.32 compression height piston gives total height of 210.32mm. this means that the piston in TDC must be 0.68mm below the deck, but today I assembled a block with crank and put one piston with rod and it came out of the block for more then 0.5mm WTF?? can anybody explain?? block is not shaved 100%!

Stock B28 rod length is 135mm.

Leo.

E30 318iS, E36 328i

Comment

im sure its not 211 its less,
      the b25 assembly out of the block about 1 mm "NV" and the vanos assembly about 0.35mm.

i think the block height about 209.7 and im sure its the same as m52/m54.
      in the m52/m54 the piston in TDC under the deck and give you 10.2 compression.

are you using B25 "vanos" Rod with M54b30 piston in your B28 "Crank" High Compression motor?

Comment

Originally posted by yazansoft View Post
        are you using B25 "vanos" Rod with M54b30 piston in your B28 "Crank" High Compression motor?
        Yes, I wanted to use 140mm rod with B30 piston, but piston was above the deck and i was getting 12,5:1 compression ratio! So I decided to use different combo.

m54b30 block is 211mm: http://www.usautoparts.net/bmw/engines/m54.htm
        I also got 2 front engine block covers, one from M50 block and the other from bi vanos engine (M52TU or M54), and the second one was 1mm higher! both were stock, not shaved. today I measured everything again and found the there is true diff in height between non-vanos/vanos and bi-vanos engine blocks. I also figured my setup: 2,8 crank, 135mm rods and 2.5 vanos pistons. total height is 209.55mm, I checked this today, putting this assembly in to iron block and piston was somwhere 0.5mm below the deck. I'm getting 11.3:1-11.8:1 compression ratio, depending on headgasket. also normal rod/stroke ratio of 1.60. I think this will be a potent M50B28 ;-)

Comment

if the bi vanos block shorter than M50/52 i believe the headgasket in bi vanos thinner than M50.

MY ENGINE:
          M50 NV
          M52B28 CRANK
          M50 NV ROD 135MM
          M50 VANOS PISTON
          OEM Headgasket

Compression 15.5 bar, the motor doing very well.

Comment

if the bi vanos block shorter than M50/52 i believe the headgasket in bi vanos thinner than M50.

MY ENGINE:
            M50 NV
            M52B28 CRANK
            M50 NV ROD 135MM
            M50 VANOS PISTON
            OEM Headgasket

Compression 15.5 bar, the motor doing very well.
            That makes sense as the rotating components in the block share the same part numbers between M52 B28 and M52TU B28 yet have the same compression ratio.
            Leo.

E30 318iS, E36 328i

Comment

bi vanos blocks are higher then iron ones. and yes, bi vanos block shares 0.7mm steel headgasket.

you have the same setup I'm going to build, what is your car? mine is E36. which octane fuel are you running? how many from 0 to 100km? how it is to compare with stock 2.8?

Comment

Originally posted by blink977 View Post

you have the same setup I'm going to build, what is your car? mine is E36. which octane fuel are you running? how many from 0 to 100km? how it is to compare with stock 2.8?
                mine is E30

im in middle east "jordan" Usually im running 90 octane good only for normal drive, bad on hard driving, 95 octane on hard driving running very good, im using 21.5lb injector "2.8 ones" on stock non tuned ecu. I have not measured it from 0 to 100km, the difference not too big from 2.8 but its surly stronger and you can kill him in street race or track.

i think u must use 92 octane on usa.

Comment

Originally posted by blink977 View Post
                  bi vanos blocks are higher then iron ones. and yes, bi vanos block shares 0.7mm steel headgasket.
                  No.

OE M52tu & M54 size is expressed as .030"
                  (M50 & M52) OE size is expressed as .070"
                  Leo.

E30 318iS, E36 328i

Comment

mine is E30

im in middle east "jordan" Usually im running 90 octane good only for normal drive, bad on hard driving, 95 octane on hard driving running very good, im using 21.5lb injector "2.8 ones" on stock non tuned ecu. I have not measured it from 0 to 100km, the difference not too big from 2.8 but its surly stronger and you can kill him in street race or track.

i think u must use 92 octane on usa.
                    if you are running 21.5 lbs injectors on the stock 1.3 motronic with stock chip (expecting the oem 14.5 injectors) your afr mixture will be pretty crappy and overly rich on tip in and WOT maps (loosing power and wasting gas). Cruising maps will be within reason of AFR if your O2 sensor is good when using the o2 sensor feedback but is still a decent% too big on the injector size.
                    OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post
                      if you are running 21.5 lbs injectors on the stock 1.3 motronic with stock chip (expecting the oem 14.5 injectors) your afr mixture will be pretty crappy and overly rich on tip in and WOT maps (loosing power and wasting gas). Cruising maps will be within reason of AFR if your O2 sensor is good when using the o2 sensor feedback but is still a decent% too big on the injector size.
                      the motronic 1.3 with 14.5lb injector is for M20

The M50 NV running with motronic M3.1 with 17.5lb injector.

my car running without o2 sensor :)

Comment

running WITHOUT o2 sensor is even more rich mixture, you are destroying your engine and loosing power. bad idea to unplug the o2 sensor, then the computer is really in STUPID mode,

from 17.5 lbs to 21.5 is too much fuel without remapping. sorry

I just installed 21.5 lb injectors into my built m20. I had to re-map the entire fuel maps, it does not just work. if you do it to a m50 it is the same creates a grumpy DME
                        OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

M52TU is BI-vanos engine. and the headgasket is different from M50/M52 non-TU, cause it shares a little different engine block and head too (as i know). So, stock OEM single vanos are non MLS headgaskets, bi-vanos are 0.7mm MLS steel.

Comment

0.70" is not = to 0.7mm

Metric to SAE FTMFW
                            Originally posted by 325Projectz
                            don't listen to the diagram... listen to mr. swiss.
                            :nice:

Comment

The point I was making was that the Bi-Vanos motors (M54/M52tu) use a thinner head gasket to compensate for the higher deck height when compared to the M50/M52 single vanos motors.
                              Leo.

E30 318iS, E36 328i

Comment

Working...
                              X