OBDI Knock Sensor Mounting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OBDI Knock Sensor Mounting

Where do you guys mount the knock sensors on your blocks?

My S50 is in the car and everything, but I can't seem to find pics online or in the Bentley of where the actually sensors are mounted/oriented.

Any photos/help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

-Kyle

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Wishno has it, there are threaded pads on the block specifically for the sensors.
      I saved 15% on my Bimmer parts by switching to ...

Comment

^Thanks a bunch!

Comment

if they are cracked like wishno's should they be replaced? or does it matter if the exterior plastic is beat up?
          '84 325e - "Elizabeth"
          '87 325e (SHELL) - "Sleeping Beauty" - COMPLETE PROJECT PART-OUT - S54, 5-LUG, and MORE

sigpic

Comment

I left them and the car seems to have been running fine for the last year but I do intend to replace them soon.
            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Is it a good idea to replace this while the engine is out?? I'm going to be pulling my s50 out of the m3 in a couple weeks. How much are these and how many are there? Never heard of these sensors before ;-)

1989 Zinno 325i S50 ZF320

Comment

They are somewhat expensive but if you have the money you should change them while the motor is out. Or at least test them to make sure they are within spec.

Comment

Oh and M50s and S50s have two. OBD2 cars have both built into a single plug.

Comment

They should be replaced if they don't look absolutely mint, and you should consider it even if they do. The mint looking set on my 47k mile S50 ended up going bad on me almost immediately, for example.

Note that OBD II knock sensors are very reliable. Jordan/Stuck has been converting them for use on OBD I cars, so it's possible to use the better and cheaper sensors. The downside, though, is that you have to do some wiring adaptation.
                    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
                    2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
                    1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                    1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                    - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                    1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
                    1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
                    Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Oh wait, I was told the dual obd2 knock sensors worked with obd1 harness.
                      Did he share that info on how he made them work with obd1?
                      -Jay

2014 NASA FL se30 champ #81
                      2001 se46 3 year plan in progress

Comment

Originally posted by Jonny Cash View Post
                        Oh wait, I was told the dual obd2 knock sensors worked with obd1 harness.
                        Did he share that info on how he made them work with obd1?
                        You need to make an adapter harness or add two plugs, or cut up your engine harness.
                        2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
                        2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
                        1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                        1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                        - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                        1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
                        1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
                        Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

get new ones and make sure you align them right and do not over torque or they will crack. I belive its 12-15 ftlb

Comment

Yes old thread.
                            Is there a writeup somewhere for converting obd2 knock sensors for obd1?

Comment

Originally posted by Wishno87 View Post
                              Yes old thread.
                              Is there a writeup somewhere for converting obd2 knock sensors for obd1?
                              Interested in this as well.
                              For all things 24v, check out Markert Motorworks!
                              Originally posted by mbonanni
                              I hate modded emtree, I hate modded cawrz, I hate jdm, I hate swag, I hate stanceyolokids, I hate bags (on cars), I hate stuff that is slowz, I hate tires.

I am a pursit now.

Comment

Working...
                              X