S50 Tach problem in '84 318i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S50 Tach problem in '84 318i

OK i have search for an answer and havent got my problem solve so i'm gonna post it up here and see the response.

i have and '84 318i swapped in a '95 s50. i have my tach wire connected from pin 20 on the e36 harness, i have had it connected to the green wire on the three prong connector behind the glove box ( as i have read from some threads), tach doesnt work. i have had it connnected to the black wire on that same connector still no tach. i have had it connected directly to the green coding plug on the back of the cluster as i have also read to do, still no tach. i tested the wire from pin 20 and i have current and my tach work before the swap. i understand that a 6cyl coding plug is required for the tach to read correctly, but it should still move with the 4cyl coding plug, right?

well thats the pickle i'm in. so shoot me some ideas and solutions.
    thanks

should go to black on C104. It will still read wrong though as you have a 4cyl cluster.

Check Us out on Facebook
    Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
    Full Product Line Tuning
    OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

Your wires be wrong yo.

When it starts working it will read over actual. Say idle will read about 1,200 ish. Had the same issue when I swapped my M44 in the Z3.
      Originally posted by 325Projectz
      don't listen to the diagram... listen to mr. swiss.
      :nice:

Comment

I had it connected to the black wire on the c104 (theconnector in the glove box) does that mean the cluster is bad?

Comment

Ok been driving car for a while and tach works some times,so i think the cluster may be bad, i'm gonna try to get another one since the temp gauge and fuel guage have never worked before anyway.

Comment

SI batteries pwn joo
            Originally posted by 325Projectz
            don't listen to the diagram... listen to mr. swiss.
            :nice:

Comment

replace SI board...or at least the batteries
              '87 325ic, powered by S50.

Comment

Working...
              X