Problems starting up engine first time.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems starting up engine first time.

I'm a little lost. I've attempted to search to find some concrete answers related to my situation but I think I'm missing the big picture here.

Car:
    -1987 325i automatic
    -1995 m3 engine/trans/harness
    -gregslow318i adapter harness

my problem; car will not turn over (no action from the starter)

I have power at the starter
    -2 big wires at big post
    -1 black/yellow wire at lower post
    -1 black wire at high pos

Now here is where I think im missing the big picture. When i removed the e30 engine harness in place of the e36 m3/adapter harness, I removed the fuse block for what appears to be unloader/fuel pump/questionable relay?.

I'm thinking my problem lies in the missing relays, not sure how they wire in either when I removed the e30 engine harness all together.

Or is there a problem where I need some type of switch to allow the ignition to occur (clutch switch, possibly ews issue?)

I'm lost and not sure where to look yet. I need to check and see if the DME has EWS or not.

I guess the ultimate question is, do i need the relays wired in? also does this effect the starting issue? also do i need to worry about EWS or a clutch/brake switch during startup?

any advice would be greatly appreciated. for your reading efforts i award you a nice gif or two ;)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/joeypwnsj00/

Originally posted by Joey FTW View Post
    -gregslow318i adapter harness
    Your problem.

Check Us out on Facebook
    Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
    Full Product Line Tuning
    OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

Originally posted by 328ijunkie View Post
      Your problem.
      lol

Comment

Sorry had to say it... Thats where i would start...

Check Us out on Facebook
        Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
        Full Product Line Tuning
        OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

did some research, found out my DME is silver label and requires EWS delete.

I'm trying to save myself some money and figure out what signal the DME needs to start. From what I researched, a silver 506 DME(production date 09/1994) has EWS1. EWS1 uses a smart style relay. Basically the relay sees the ignition, ews, zke and sends a signal to the DME.. im researching it now though. I'd hate to buy a 100$+ ews delete chip when I can just duplicate the signal needed to disable the lock on the DME during startup.

Comment

Your problem.
            I concur.
            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by Wh33lhop
            VANOS: sometimes you just need to go full retard.

Comment

Even with the EWS issue the starter will still fire, the ECU just wont fire injectors or spark. Check your harness adapter.

Check Us out on Facebook
              Full Product Line Tuning

Comment

Your problem.

Originally posted by Roysneon
                $5 shipped?
                Originally posted by MarkD
                You are a strange dude, I'n not answering any more posts from you.

Comment

;)

Check Us out on Facebook
                  Full Product Line Tuning

Comment

Working...
                  X