Leaky oil in M50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaky oil in M50

I have aquired a leak in my oil pan where the oil pressure/level sensor bolts up. I replaced the o-ring on the unit and still leaky. Has anyone had expierence with this similiar problem??? Could the actual sensor leak internally?? Any insight would be much appreciated!!
    Thanks!

I don't think the sensor can leak out the bottom like your thinking. Did you clean the area where the o-ring touches really good? and did you put just a tiny bit of oil on the ring itself?
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents. Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the [federal] government." ~ James Madison

‎"If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen" Barack Obama

Comment

Originally posted by joshh
      I don't think the sensor can leak out the bottom like your thinking.
      The M20 pressure sensor is notorious for leaking internally. The plastic cracks, allowing oil to pass out the sensor and travel along inside the harness.

Very common problem. Do you use the M20 sensor with the M50 swap?

James

Comment

I cleaned the area very well and that is why I am wondering if the sensor itself is leaking. I used the original sensor with the swap, so M50 sensor.

Thanks for you help!

Comment

Originally posted by KangamangusDriver
          I cleaned the area very well and that is why I am wondering if the sensor itself is leaking. I used the original sensor with the swap, so M50 sensor.

Thanks for you help!
          The ETK lists the switches as the same part for the M20 and the M50 so I'd bet that is where your problem lies. The switch is pretty cheap so I'd just replace it.

James

Comment

We are talking about the oil sensor on the bottom of the oil pan correct?

Comment

I was actually talking about the presure switch which now I see on the M50 is located in the oil cannister. BUt I don't see why the same problem couldn't occur there. If you are sure you've cleaned it well then it is probably the sender.

James

Comment

I thought he was talking about the level sensor at the bottom of the oil pan. I have 2 of them and either one is cracked.
                Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents. Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the [federal] government." ~ James Madison

‎"If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen" Barack Obama

Comment

Originally posted by joshh
                  I thought he was talking about the level sensor at the bottom of the oil pan. I have 2 of them and either one is cracked.
                  Yeah I see that now.

Still, if he installed them properly they shouldn't leak.

James

Comment

The official name of the part is oil level switch, mounted on the bottom of the oil pan on a 95 M50.

Has anyone had these ever leak on them?????
                    1. Was it the seal/Rubber o-ring???
                    2. Was it the actual switch??

Sorry to cause any confusion
                    Thanks

***UPDATE***
                    I found the problem. Just wanted at add closure.
                    It was the damn o-ring on the dip stick tube!
                    Last edited by KangamangusDriver; 02-09-2006, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X