Oil sensor wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil sensor wiring

I pulled a 3pin connector from my s52 harness to wire in oil sensor, but one of the wires (not ground) was to short to reach so I spliced in a long piece of same gauge wire. After wiring it up to the correct pins I was not gettin a Reading. Would splicing in the wire extension cause a bad reading? I've heard that splicing wires can cause it to not have the right amount of resistance.
    1989 E30 Zinnoberrot Vert 325i OBD1 S52 turbo;IP

+1. I did the same thing. I just assumed that my sensor was bad.

From reading the ETK, im pretty sure the sensor runs by simple continuity. When pan is at normal levels, 1 wire is grounded, and when it is low, it grounds the other wire. The system doesnt really know the exact amount of oil, it just when it is normal or too low. If that is the case, then resistance wouldnt affect it.

I could be wrong.

Comment

Did you use crimp style connectors or did your solder it?
      :borg:

Comment

i just twisted them together and taped it up. This wasnt a permanent fix, i just didnt want to spend the time feeding it through the harness just yet. Im a noob when it comes to wiring.

Originally posted by drez14 View Post
        +1. I did the same thing. I just assumed that my sensor was bad.

From reading the ETK, im pretty sure the sensor runs by simple continuity. When pan is at normal levels, 1 wire is grounded, and when it is low, it grounds the other wire. The system doesnt really know the exact amount of oil, it just when it is normal or too low. If that is the case, then resistance wouldnt affect it.

I could be wrong.
        did you get a new sensor or something then? I'll have to check those ETK's out i guess

Comment

Originally posted by SwiftE30 View Post
          i just twisted them together and taped it up.

Seriously.

I'll bet you a million e-dollars that's your problem.

Comment

Do you have a multimeter? I have a autoranging digital fluke that I like a lot, but a ten dollar one will suit you fine too. Get one with a continuity setting.

That way even with your super ghetto twisted wire apparatus, you can see if electricity is flowing through the joint.

You put one lead on one end of the wire (say a pin on the harness), and the other on the opposite end. If electricity can flow through, it'll beep for you. I use it all the time. Then if it is something that is sensitive to resistance, you can swap your meter over to ohms and see how hard that electricity has to fight through your wiring to get to the other end.

You can start eliminating possible problems quickly that way.

Comment

Originally posted by browntown View Post
              Do you have a multimeter? I have a autoranging digital fluke that I like a lot, but a ten dollar one will suit you fine too. Get one with a continuity setting.

That way even with your super ghetto twisted wire apparatus, you can see if electricity is flowing through the joint.

You put one lead on one end of the wire (say a pin on the harness), and the other on the opposite end. If electricity can flow through, it'll beep for you. I use it all the time. Then if it is something that is sensitive to resistance, you can swap your meter over to ohms and see how hard that electricity has to fight through your wiring to get to the other end.

You can start eliminating possible problems quickly that way.
              I just picked a multimeter up the day before I left for
              School so I never got a chance to use it. I'm heading home again this Friday so I'll check that out. I'll be getting rid of this pin connector and just pulling another one off my old harness to eliminate any possibilities.

Thanks for the info guys.

Comment

Or you could try fucking at least doing a hack wiring job properly. Use a butt connector since I highly doubt you can operate a soldering iron. Then put the multi meter across the splice and measure resistance. If you're over like 50 ohms on the extreme high end, you've done something terribly wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoJ's View Post
                  Or you could try fucking at least doing a hack wiring job properly. Use a butt connector since I highly doubt you can operate a soldering iron. Then put the multi meter across the splice and measure resistance. If you're over like 50 ohms on the extreme high end, you've done something terribly wrong.
                  Some of us cannot operate a butt connector and just solder everything.

FYI I did mine straight from the engine harness bypassed the c101/x20 and ran the ground to the aux power provision in front of fuse box for the ground only, green and blue back to harness.

What wire do you have going to what pin on the 3 prong connector? it should have the pins numbered on the plastic part.
                  Originally posted by 325Projectz
                  don't listen to the diagram... listen to mr. swiss.
                  :nice:

Comment

pin 1 goes to 2
                    pin 2 goes to ground
                    pin 3 goes to 10.

There ive helped someone today.

Check Us out on Facebook
                    Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
                    Full Product Line Tuning
                    OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

Solder isn't always the best answer in cars. Butt connectors are more vibration/corrosion resistant, and if you buy nice ones will work just fine. You can call Luke and ask him. He has messed with more automobile wires in his lifetime that anyone here.

Comment

+1 i never solder. I use heatshrinked butt connectors. You crimp and then heat them up and theyre good to go.

Check Us out on Facebook
                        Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
                        Full Product Line Tuning
                        OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

Originally posted by TwoJ's View Post
                          Or you could try fucking at least doing a hack wiring job properly. Use a butt connector since I highly doubt you can operate a soldering iron. .
                          No need for you to be such a dick, man.

Originally posted by 328ijunkie View Post
                          pin 1 goes to 2
                          pin 2 goes to ground
                          pin 3 goes to 10.

There ive helped someone today.
                          thats how i have it. i'll use a heat shrink now, or just use another 3 pin connector with long enough wires.

just as an FYI, i wired this sensor up like an hour before i left to go back to school. I didnt have high expectations of it working, this thread was basically to get feedback on what i assumed the problem was.

Comment

Originally posted by SwiftE30 View Post
                            No need for you to be such a dick, man.
                            When your "wiring" consists of twisting the ends together and taping it, you leave the door wide open.

Comment

Least he admits it. I'd venture 3/4 aftermarket headunit installs and 1/3 engine swaps are guilty of crap splicing.
                              -Dave
                              2003 Lincoln Towncar | 1992 BMW 325iC | 1968 Cadillac Deville

Need some help figuring out the ETM?

Comment

Working...
                              X