m52 rear main seal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

m52 rear main seal

I'm trying to figure out which rear main seal I should order from pelican parts. Do I need the one with or without the tension spring?

I am having a lot better luck with the one without the tension spring.
    what you did to this car is like getting a supermodel naked and willing to do anything you please. now here you are faced with ths once in a lifetime opportunity and then you squander it by making her fuck you in the butt with a 24" strap on. you are a sad, silly little boy.

Comment

The new seal design doesn't use a spring. While you're doing the rear main, I would also recommend installing one of these:

They're about $45 from Finditparts.com. It's called a Speedi Sleeve, it's made to repair wear over time and create a new sealing surface. It's not uncommon for people to replace their rear main and find it still leaks just as bad as before, if not worse. This installs over the end of the crankshaft end where the rear main rides, and is so thin that it keeps the same overall size, so a larger size seal isn't needed.

You can find a size and part number chart of SKF's website, just measure the width of your crankshaft seal surface and order the right one.

Comment

I get bmws 'repair kit' for all my customer cars. Already has the better RMS pressed into a new housing and new bolts and a guide sleeve.

Check Us out on Facebook
        Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
        Full Product Line Tuning
        OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

Cool, I didn't know it came with a guide sleeve. The kit is great if you're buying it for customer cars and they're paying for it. But paying what they charge for a new housing is absolutely ludicrous to me. Cleaned mine up with a toothbrush and some mineral spirits, good as new. Getting the old seal out and putting the new one in took me all of 10 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by Janderson View Post
            Cool, I didn't know it came with a guide sleeve. The kit is great if you're buying it for customer cars and they're paying for it. But paying what they charge for a new housing is absolutely ludicrous to me. Cleaned mine up with a toothbrush and some mineral spirits, good as new. Getting the old seal out and putting the new one in took me all of 10 minutes.
            so I need to order the seal with the tensioner? not the "updated" design that does not have a tension spring.

Comment

No, you DO want the updated design that doesn't have a spring. It's a better seal.

Comment

Originally posted by Janderson View Post
                No, you DO want the updated design that doesn't have a spring. It's a better seal.
                cool thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by 328ijunkie View Post
                  I get bmws 'repair kit' for all my customer cars. Already has the better RMS pressed into a new housing and new bolts and a guide sleeve.
                  This is the way to go for reasons stated by Anderson

Originally posted by Roysneon
                  $5 shipped?
                  Originally posted by MarkD
                  You are a strange dude, I'n not answering any more posts from you.

Comment

Originally posted by 328ijunkie View Post
                    ^ ^
                    what is a guide sleeve? only sleeve I can locate is for centering of drive shaft in trans thanks
                    My CA legal M60 swap

The happening in our garage

Comment

Originally posted by 36brua View Post
                      ^ ^
                      what is a guide sleeve? only sleeve I can locate is for centering of drive shaft in trans thanks
                      read post number 3

Comment

Originally posted by polkadot_boxerman View Post
                        read post number 3
                        thnx the 'guide' part threw me
                        My CA legal M60 swap

The happening in our garage

Comment

Working...
                        X