Schrick Cam Install - S50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schrick Cam Install - S50

Are there any write ups pertaining to this kit? I've read about a few people running it, and the performance numbers seem pretty respectable.

I'm trying to steer away from going FI, so I'd like to build my S50 as much as I can NA. I was hanging out with my buddy today who's a well respected mechanic, specializes in diesels, but he seemed very confident he could do it no problem with the help of a service manual.

I was wondering if someone could shed some insight on this install, labor hours, any specific out of the ordinary tools we would need, etc. I'll get a quote from Ryan G, but my buddy said he would basically do it for free so I'd like to go that route. I'm just curious how labor intensive it is and the difficulty.

Having installed Shricks a couple times, I can saw you won't need any special tools. It'll take a little longer to do because of the increase in lift that causes less of the cam bearing cap nuts to be put on at first. Just take you time. Otherwise use the same install method as stock. I went from head off to running/driving in about 6 hours.
    Midwest Spec E30 #64

https://www.facebook.com/thestickergarage

Comment

So since I'm already in there, would you recommend doing the head gasket and maybe ARP's as well? Just for some reinforcement. I already had a HG blow on my 7 series, I don't want to go through that again.

Comment

There is probably another reason why your head gasket blew on your 7er other than studs allowing the head to lift. Cooling is probably what happened there or ridiculous mileage (250k+). I see no reason to buy new studs unless damaged in an otherwise stock engine.
        UNDER CONSTRUCTION - 24v 325e (future DD), DD 525i

stripped out e30 rally project - in progress
        M50NV -> M50TU E34 swap underway

Comment

Originally posted by NbAmTwE View Post
          There is probably another reason why your head gasket blew on your 7er other than studs allowing the head to lift. Cooling is probably what happened there or ridiculous mileage (250k+). I see no reason to buy new studs unless damaged in an otherwise stock engine.
          Very true, it was a high mileage M62.

Comment

It wouldn't be a bad idea to stick a new headgasket in there if you've got the time/money. If you do, don't forget to get the head decked/pressure tested.
            Midwest Spec E30 #64

https://www.facebook.com/thestickergarage

Comment

I would love give you a hand with your cam install. I am located in richmond and can give you the first time customer discount.
              Past Car : E30 S50 6 Speed 5 Lug 3.73
              Current : Z3 S50 OBD2 (Smog Legal) 6 Speed BBS RN Dual Ear Diff
              Julian 848-248-8029

Comment

You'll be getting a phone call in the near future. Thank you for the offer buddy

Comment

You've got to have the usual cam lock and sprocket turning tools, otherwise its no biggie.

I would recommend that you follow the pelican parts cam install how to. Its a little harder to find the sweet spot with fatter cams, but its not a big deal.
                  I don't always wreck cars, but when I do I wreck them into trees.

91' 318is S50 swap - The Black Widow

Comment

Working...
                  X