Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

s52 OBDII Info (adaptor wiring chart)

UPDATE 7/27/13

Since the first iteration of this wiring chart over a year ago I have worked out a few bugs and made some updates:

-P0500 OBD-II Trouble Code: Basically in my car the signal from the speed sensor was not strong enough to the DME and it read this as a fault with the speed sensor. To at least get rid of the check engine light I connected pin 14 xC101 (VSS) to pin 9 x20 (ABS). This gave the DME a strong enough signal and stopped the check engine light. The amplification is still not large enough for an actual speed reading, this was verified by the referee at the CA BAR station who said at 25mph actual the DME was only reading about 3mph. Note: This seems to be different across the board! Not sure why but more info can be found here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=285584

-Oil Level Sensor: I had my Full and Low wires backwards. This has since been corrected and is working fine.

I have removed the old chart as it has some incorrect info but it is still available here

I am happy to report I have no check engine light and no check panel lights. I am still short of being legal in CA for smog due to my evap sensor not self testing and going into a "ready" state but all other OBDII equipment is working properly. I'll have to trouble shoot this at another time as I am happy with everything as it stands today.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I’m at work today so I will update this post with more info as I have time and confirm that this all actually works.

First of all I need to give some respect to a few fellow r3ver’s who have helped me along with some of the unknowns or steered a newb in the right direction for obd2 conversion

Wanganstyle
    328ijunkie
    Nando
    flyboyx
    etxxz

And probably a few others

Hope this isn’t too stupid, but I seriously would not have been able to do this without some direction and to have it start up on the first try made all the hard work worth it.

The info in the sticky threads are like a 24v swap bible so cheers to the guys who were here before me and were cool enough to share. I’m not bringing anything brand new to the table here, but I want to make some contribution so I will share my wiring info and make my spreadsheet available to anyone who asks as well as a few personal lessons learned when I have more time. I am not however responsible for how you use this information and make no claims it is fool proof.

Wiring Adaptor:

One caveat at the present time, I have not finished wiring my obd2 fuel tank pressure sensor, carbon canister or diagnostic plug. Nor is my car moving as I have been slowed by work, vacation and waiting three weeks for a driveshaft that turned out to be rubbish. If all goes well the e30 will be rolling down the streets in less than a week.

So here you go, time to find out from you guys if I made any mistakes! My labels may not be perfect but they worked for me.

I made my own adaptor after deciding to go obd2 as I wanted more control over the wiring, otherwise my harness would have gone to Dave at Markert Motor Werks to get the nice pin treatment.

STUDY THE ETM’S!!! The information is there, if you have a question ask, the guys here know their shit. Wire colors change all the time, even between cars in the same model year. I pulled my adaptor C101 from a ’90 vert and numerous wire colors were different from my ’90 coupe. Identifying the pins and their function correctly is the sure way to keep from setting your car on fire. DO NOT take my wire color notes as a blanket guide, they are specific to my adaptor.

I used some connector covers from the junkyard and 1” shrink wrap from harbor freight. Buy the $5 set with four different sizes each in 48” length, but far the best deal out there. I also used the heat shrink connectors, those worked out pretty sweet. I used a beer coaster as a shield when using the heat gun to keep from toasting other wires. I did screw up and missed one wire but it isn’t going to ruin my day.

The exposed wires are for the obd2 system, oil level sensor and temp gauge which I wired while hooking up the harness to get correct wire lengths. I poked the obd2 wires through the firewall below the fuse box and will have my own custom fuse box below the dash for the three additional fuses and power. I haven’t decided where to place the diagnostic connector yet but probably below the drivers side dash.

More to come another day.

Cheers
    Last edited by mammoth_e30; 07-28-2013, 11:49 AM. Reason: Updates to wiring chart.

Heineken sux
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION - 24v 325e (future DD), DD 525i

stripped out e30 rally project - in progress
    M50NV -> M50TU E34 swap underway

Comment

Originally posted by NbAmTwE View Post
      Heineken sux
      maybe so, i haven't had one in years but they make diesel coasters.

Comment

bauss! ;D

Check Us out on Facebook
        Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
        Full Product Line Tuning
        OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

are you getting the EWSII deleted? thanks for sharing.

i just realized all the pictures from my 2007 obd2 wiring thread are gone, but someone was nice enough to save a PDF on google. search for wiring kamasutra. that info might have saved you a ton of work.

will have to revive that thread.
          No more e30s for me.
          88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
          88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
          91 BMW 325i [sold]
          86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
          http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

Comment

Originally posted by etxxz View Post
            are you getting the EWSII deleted? thanks for sharing.

i just realized all the pictures from my 2007 obd2 wiring thread are gone, but someone was nice enough to save a PDF on google. search for wiring kamasutra. that info might have saved you a ton of work.

will have to revive that thread.
            Yeah i had the EWSII deleted as I didn't have the whole car, I pieced everything together so it was just easier to have it removed.

I think I did come accross your thread somewhere and probably used it as a reference. I only did the work because I wanted to understand the wiring which made actually putting it all together easier in the end.

No real progress as of today the weekend was a bit busy so hopefully I get in some time after work this week.

Comment

Bump.

Comment

updated chart and original post with some additional info.

cheers

Comment

Did you have to install a LDP (leak detection pump) for the gas tank for OBD 2 and CA bar?

Comment

Originally posted by surebimmer View Post
                    Did you have to install a LDP (leak detection pump) for the gas tank for OBD 2 and CA bar?
                    Not in this case as it is not a component of the m/s52 e36 OBDII emissions system.

If you were going to try and get an m/s54 from an e46 passed by CA Bar then you would have to include the leak detection pump with your swap.

Comment

ty
                      My Build Thread

My Transaction Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by mammoth_e30 View Post
                        Not in this case as it is not a component of the m/s52 e36 OBDII emissions system.

If you were going to try and get an m/s54 from an e46 passed by CA Bar then you would have to include the leak detection pump with your swap.
                        Are you in a enhanced smog area of California? All OBD 2 E36's had a EVAP leak pump. It looks like a turtle shell in the spare tire area. Is the referee not requiring this for your OBD 2 swap?

Comment

Originally posted by surebimmer View Post
                          Are you in a enhanced smog area of California? All OBD 2 E36's had a EVAP leak pump. It looks like a turtle shell in the spare tire area. Is the referee not requiring this for your OBD 2 swap?
                          Can you provide a part number? The referee did not specifically say it was missing.

Maybe it's the terms you and I use that are confusing things so let me lay out my references and maybe you could teach me something I don't know yet! I used a s52 from a 1999 e36 M3. Below is a link to all the BMW fuel related equipment I referenced when doing my swap.

The fuel related OBDII equipment I installed are a Fuel tank pressure sensor #10

e36 carbon canister #3 & Shut off valve #2

and pressure regulator #11 (and all associated parts)

The reason I reference the EVAP leak pump for M54 (part #20) is because it is shown here but I have never heard about it being needed for a m52/s52 swap in California.

Comment

OBD2 e36 doesnt have a 'pump'

Check Us out on Facebook
                            Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
                            Full Product Line Tuning
                            OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

mammoth, thanks for sharing the information that you have put together. have you made anymore progress with getting your E30 CA BARed?

Comment

Working...
                              X