e38 swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

e38 swap?

what do you guys think about this? i wasn't sure which section to put it in.
    i'm assuming it could be done but how easily compared to an e36 motor is it to swap. and is there even a manual trans to match up with this motor? if not then it's not worth it to me

thanks

I'm sure it's possible but your most likely going to need to convert it to obd1. Especially the newer e38's have more sensors, I believe abs/traction will be an issue and the it has an electronic throttle not a cable. I'm not too sure but from what I remember those are some stuff to look into before starting anything. As for tranny, iirc e34 530i m60b30 manual transmission would work and the 6 speed that comes with most e34s and e39s.

Comment

Are you talking about an m62b44 (not sure if that's actually the correct name) from an e38? If so then yes, there are manual trannys that you can use. I think this is an m60b40:
      The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
      Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
      2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
      2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

it's the m60b40 specifically.
        so the m60b30 would be beefy enough to handle the extra power in the b40?

and would this be worth it over an m50/m52 swap? i'm assuming i'd need to fabricate my own mounts for everything versus the m5x engines where i could use e36 engine arms. is this correct?

Comment

Comment

v8 swap section right next to this section. you can't miss it.
            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by Wh33lhop
            VANOS: sometimes you just need to go full retard.

Comment

Working...
            X