fitting m50 wiring under 318 harness cover

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • M3PO
    replied
    Originally posted by ilovechips901
    M3po it's pretty comon to use alternatives to raise the engine. In my case I used notched washers. All that I needed to do was trim a bit off the corner going over the intake. I'll take pictures in order to do it justice.
    I was being a smart ass because you said you used SHIVS which are knives. Regardless, you shouldn't have to shim the engine.

    Leave a comment:


  • ForcedFirebird
    replied
    Why raise the engine?

    Leave a comment:


  • ilovechips901
    replied
    M3po it's pretty comon to use alternatives to raise the engine. In my case I used notched washers. All that I needed to do was trim a bit off the corner going over the intake. I'll take pictures in order to do it justice.

    Leave a comment:


  • Sh3rpak!ng
    replied
    There's A LOT of excessive wire in there. I had lik an extra 1.5' of wire going to the harness connector. It took some patience, but I picked apart the whole harness and trimmed everything to fit snugly. Lots of butt splices and heat shrink. After rearranging everything, I was easily able to fit the harness connector in the factory position, and the diagnostic port in the bracket next to it. There is now a lot of leftover space behind the covers.


    Prior to trimming - lots of length left going to the c101





    OCD madness kicked in





    And done.





    Here's some of what I removed from the first time I leaned it out




    More removed the second time around

    Last edited by Sh3rpak!ng; 12-16-2015, 10:30 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • bimmer630
    replied
    Like this
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • M3PO
    replied
    Originally posted by ilovechips901
    Has anybody used shivs to raise there engine and ran into the issue of not having enough space for the cover?
    First you shouldn't use knives to raise your engine. Second, the cover has to be clearanced no matter what.

    Leave a comment:


  • ilovechips901
    replied
    Has anybody used shivs to raise there engine and ran into the issue of not having enough space for the cover?

    Leave a comment:


  • The Dark Side of Will
    replied
    Originally posted by ngampleh
    Idk, I can't found it on his statistic
    I checked there too and didn't see anything that was obviously a build thread.

    Leave a comment:


  • ngampleh
    replied
    Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will
    That's a really nice job... have a link to the build thread?

    Idk, I can't found it on his statistic

    Leave a comment:


  • justin_l_
    replied
    Originally posted by ForcedFirebird
    OBD2 can even be done when the excess wiring is cleaned up. Just takes time and patience.
    True, I just did an obd2 one last year. Definitely a tighter fit but it will fit in.

    Leave a comment:


  • ncbrock
    replied
    Originally posted by ForcedFirebird
    I use this kit:
    That's essentially the same thing I use, just a different brand. None of them really seem to release the two pins from the plastic connector. Maybe my technique sucks, but I'd love to try and figure it out one day.

    Leave a comment:


  • The Dark Side of Will
    replied
    Originally posted by ngampleh
    any detail which wire shortened or lengthened?
    so the wiring can reach 318i ECU bracket and fit with 318i wiring cover

    r3v member "lifeiskaos" did very nice wiring modification as below pic
    That's a really nice job... have a link to the build thread?

    Leave a comment:


  • ForcedFirebird
    replied
    I use this kit:

    Leave a comment:


  • ncbrock
    replied
    Originally posted by ForcedFirebird
    OBD2 can even be done when the excess wiring is cleaned up. Just takes time and patience.






    I actually agree. We only solder when absolutely necessary. We use the factory crimps with a proper crimp tool, the little rubber boots on end splices and new pins/connectors on the sensor ends. When the harness is opened, it looks like it came from BMW that way.
    Whats the trick/special tool to get the factory pins out of the connectors? I've used the 24 piece blue point terminal pin set to try and get these out and nothing really works besides using a small trim nail and smashing it through with a hammer. But obviously that ruins the stock pin.

    Leave a comment:


  • ForcedFirebird
    replied
    OBD2 can even be done when the excess wiring is cleaned up. Just takes time and patience.



    Originally posted by 328ijunkie
    solder + engine bay heat + vibrations= electrical grimlins. Notice the factory doesnt solder anything short of circuit boards?

    I actually agree. We only solder when absolutely necessary. We use the factory crimps with a proper crimp tool, the little rubber boots on end splices and new pins/connectors on the sensor ends. When the harness is opened, it looks like it came from BMW that way.

    Leave a comment:

Working...