s52 swap temp. gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

s52 swap temp. gauge

HAS ANYONE COME ACROSS A PROBLEM WITH THERE TEMP GAUGE NOT WORKIN WITH S52 MOTOR IN AN E30. BECAUSE I HAVE THAT PROBLEM AND I WANNA IF ANYONE HAS ENCOUTERED THAT PROBLEM.:dot:

jesus christ

Caps Lock

Did you drill and thread a hole in your head to accept the e30 temp sender, then install the sender?

If not, did you wire your temp sender correctly when you did the obd-1 swap?

I'm not even sure if the sinlge sender works with the e30 gauge cluster.

Did you make sure the wiring bridge is correct?

-Addis

Doing something M50 related? -> http://www.addissimo.com
    On Myspace? ->http://groups.myspace.com/r3vlimited
    BF2142 SN = BillyGoose

Comment

i too would like to hear a response based on actual experience. i have heard both that "the dual sensor works with the e30 cluster no problem" and that "the e30 cluster and e36obd2 dual sensor runs different resistance." so....anyone with experience??????? cheers, jason

Comment

The only right way to do it is to drill/tap a hole in the head at the provided blank boss, and install the e30 sensor. Otherwise you will have a completely dead temp gauge, or one pegged to the red all the time.

The whole double sender splitter cable bulshit sucks. Just do it right.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
        https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

....what if i'm running OBDII s52. i thought the temp gauge worked off the sensor on the e30 radiator. What do i do here? which wires i have to run where?
          No more e30s for me.
          88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
          88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
          91 BMW 325i [sold]
          86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
          http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

Comment

i got the same problem

Comment

Originally posted by etxxz View Post
              ....what if i'm running OBDII s52. i thought the temp gauge worked off the sensor on the e30 radiator. What do i do here? which wires i have to run where?
              Still have to have the E30 temp sender in the head (the black one I believe) and seperate wires/plug ran to the X20 for the cluster.
              My 2.9L Build!

Originally posted by Ernest Hemingway
              There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

Comment

Dont mean to labour this point, but:
                There are four wires from the dual sender. Two to ECU, two to cluster. Cant remember which is which, but... ETM.
                It would be SOOOO nice to hook it up properly! I presume all it needs is the right resistor (if its operating in a different range).

Logic:
                If gauge is not responding at all, or constantly in red, current is either too high or low.

Input voltage will be fixed, resistance changes with heat. V=IR,
                Measure your midpoint resistance and set it to get the temp gauge in the middle (say at 80C, or whatever you want, dont know for you fahrenheit boys). Then go buy the right resistor. Stick it in. DONE!

However, none of this can be done without getting the working range of the temp gauge, and I cant do this, because I dont have the equipment with me (that, and I'm too lazy).

Does ANYONE know what ranges the temp gauge can register? Then we could all finally calibrate our temp gauge to suit. It would cost all of about $3 and 10 mins!

ANd it'd be a good thing to do anyway, since the sensors are notorious for different resistances. Especially if a few years (say, 20?) old. How many of you are running old sensors?

Comment

Equate975 started to do something similar by providing resistance vs. T measurements for various sensors.

From my research at the time, both the blue and brown temperature sensors are NTC thermistors.

A new M20 temperature sensor is only $5 for a generic brand one.

Originally posted by whysimon
                  WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Originally posted by FredK View Post
                    Equate975 started to do something similar by providing resistance vs. T measurements for various sensors.

From my research at the time, both the blue and brown temperature sensors are NTC thermistors.

A new M20 temperature sensor is only $5 for a generic brand one.
                    Hmm interesting. Did he have a thread on that? I'll have a look around. It'd be good to do just for the hell of it, to make it work (Haha, victory!)

But then 5 bucks for a new sender is a damn good argument. Luckily its alot more around here (damn we're isolated)....

Comment

The temp vs. resistance is all over, you can't stick a resistor on. The only possible way to do this, would to make an IC to convert everything. I don't have the time or care enough to do it, your better off just tapping the head anyways.

Tap the head, ghetto rig it to the hotside of the WP, or don't have a temp sensor. Thats your options.

The only thing that should work, which to my knowledge no one has tried, is to get an e36 temp gauge and solder it into the e30 cluster and do some fancy wiring to it. I don't see why that wouldn't work either.
                      Rollin' with a Geistkuchen

Comment

i've been thinking about adding an autometer temp gauge, custom fit it where the stock one is on the dash (won't be much work) and stick the sensor where the radiator plug is. i do not want to tap my s52 head specially when i'm running obdii and my computer probably uses that sensor for something...maybe not, what do you guys think?
                        No more e30s for me.
                        88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
                        88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
                        91 BMW 325i [sold]
                        86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
                        http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

Comment

Originally posted by etxxz View Post
                          i do not want to tap my s52 head specially when i'm running obdii and my computer probably uses that sensor for something...maybe not, what do you guys think?
                          No you don't need that sensor...
                          Rollin' with a Geistkuchen

Comment

i like the autometer gauge for the water temp sensor better. that's what i'm doin.

I'm also puttin in a volt meter and oil psi gauge.

Comment

Originally posted by equate975 View Post
                              No you don't need that sensor...
                              Uhhh... you don't need the DME temp sensor?

Comment

Working...
                              X