Dropping Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dropping Engine

Watching a lot of peoples build threads on here, Ive never seen anyone dropping the car onto the engine with the crossmember bolted.

I know not everyone has a lift but I was just wondering if its the best way.

MY BUILD THREAD
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=235231

INSTAGRAM : @luchcolaneri

mine went in from the top with the crossmember in place and the transmission attached. easy to do, as long as you have a load leveler, and enough overhead space to get it high enough to clear the core support.
    I saved 15% on my Bimmer parts by switching to ...

Comment

Originally posted by scottinAZ View Post
      mine went in from the top with the crossmember in place and the transmission attached. easy to do, as long as you have a load leveler, and enough overhead space to get it high enough to clear the core support.
      ^^ yep. I've done it plenty of times without a load leveler as well. Seat belt, regular chain, whatever you got. You just may need someone to manhandle the transmission at time. But other than that, it's simple.
      1990 325is Brilliantrot/Natur

Comment

Look around more, I've seen it done a few times, along with removing the engine from below (even without a lift - yikes). If you have a lift, it seems like it would be easier to do, dropping from above can be tricky.

Comment

Originally posted by scottinAZ View Post
          I know the engine can dropped with a load leveler. Im speaking out leaving the engine on the ground and dropping the car onto it. Basically the engine comes up from the bottom of the bay.

MY BUILD THREAD

Comment

Im aware of that method, and it does seem to have its proponents. Biggest issue without a hoist is getting the body high enough SAFELY to get the engine into place. seems as if you would still need some kind of a shop crane to do the job.

Comment

Im doing the swap in a garage in with a car hoist. I just wanted to know if its been done before and if there are pics.

MY BUILD THREAD

Comment

Not hard to do. You'll need a hoist to put the engine,trans onto jack stands or something Else that can hold up the engine while you lower the car down onto the engine,trans. You could put two jack stands under the subframe and one under the rear of trans. Or if you can put it all on something that can roll. That will make aligning the engine in the car much easier.
                :borg:

Comment

Originally posted by !kid View Post
                  Not hard to do. You'll need a hoist to put the engine,trans onto jack stands or something Else that can hold up the engine while you lower the car down onto the engine,trans. You could put two jack stands under the subframe and one under the rear of trans. Or if you can put it all on something that can roll. That will make aligning the engine in the car much easier.
                  I guess having my engine being on a rolling stand is a good thing lol

MY BUILD THREAD

Comment

that form of stand will likely work rather well, as long as you can fit the subfame on there as well. Biggest issue that I can see is being able to align two rather heavy objects that need to be in fairly close alignment to mate. a stand with wheels on it should fit the bill nicely.

Comment

Working...
                    X