DIY: In depth M52/S52 OBD2 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr.SWISS View Post
    Look just do not fuck with those, they are TTY, and precisely angle torqued.

Put rags in the block, and just bend the bracket back and forth, it will snap clean and not affect the cap bolts or make a mess of shavings.

Done it this way 5 times and counting.
    lol. ^This works and is what plenty of people do it. Im OCD as hell though and i remove the bracket and replace the 2 main cap bolts. Gives me the chance to look at that main bearing anyway 8-)

Check Us out on Facebook
    Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
    Full Product Line Tuning
    OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

Just took out a S52 wiring harness, you know on the E36, there are 3 plugs where the fuse box on the driverside inside the engine bay? Do I need all 3 of those plugs? Or I just need that ONE larger plug (i believe the x20) because I was not able to seperate it yet without removing the whole entire engine.

Comment

Depends on how you do the wiring but there are wires you need in all of them.

Check Us out on Facebook
        Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
        Full Product Line Tuning
        OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

Originally posted by 328ijunkie View Post
          Depends on how you do the wiring but there are wires you need in all of them.
          In all 3 of those connectors really?

Comment

you dont need all the wires obviously but yes.

Check Us out on Facebook
            Full Product Line Tuning

Comment

Can someone elaborate a bit more about the coolant temp sensor? The s52 is 4 prong and the new one is 2 prong. What am I suppose to do?

Comment

You have 2 or 3 ports in the head? If only 2:
                The page you're looking for does not exist. Please visit our home page or locations page for more information.

Check Us out on Facebook
                Full Product Line Tuning

Comment

What about it? I asked what do I do in regards to wiring.

Comment

Need to wire the cluster part of the OBD2 wiring to the E30 cluster sensor.

Check Us out on Facebook
                    Full Product Line Tuning

Comment

So I'm suppose to chop the coolant sensor harness from the odb2 e36 harness? And pin it to fit the e30 plug? Which wired are they?

Comment

Also for the wind tray bracket thing, can't I just unscrew it from the crank?

Comment

Originally posted by choleaoum View Post
                          Also for the wind tray bracket thing, can't I just unscrew it from the crank?
                          If you want to replace the bolts and torque them down again. They are stretch type or TTY and are one time use bolts. If you want to not deal with that you can bend it back and forth and it snaps clean off no metal shavings from grinding it off and no rod knock from reusing TTY bolts.
                          Originally posted by 325Projectz
                          don't listen to the diagram... listen to mr. swiss.
                          :nice:

Comment

Yeah thank god I didn't do it, cus all I had around were small metal pliers. That thing was a pain to break lol. Now I'm just stuck regarding the cooling sensor and oil temp sensor.

On the AGK diagram it says

19 Oil temp X6031 pin 10
                            20 Coolant temp 11

I'm not sure how to approach it. Am I suppose to remove the original sensor and put in the old E30 one after I die it? Then how would I plug it up? Cut the E36 harness and splice the brown/purple wire into that 1 pin?

Almost done, and as for the brake booster, am I shifting it torwards the driverside half an inch? Or down half an inch?

Comment

Really? No one can answer the coolant temp question

Comment

Originally posted by choleaoum View Post
                                Yeah thank god I didn't do it, cus all I had around were small metal pliers. That thing was a pain to break lol. Now I'm just stuck regarding the cooling sensor and oil temp sensor.

On the AGK diagram it says

19 Oil temp X6031 pin 10
                                20 Coolant temp 11

I'm not sure how to approach it. Am I suppose to remove the original sensor and put in the old E30 one after I die it? Then how would I plug it up? Cut the E36 harness and splice the brown/purple wire into that 1 pin?

Almost done, and as for the brake booster, am I shifting it torwards the driverside half an inch? Or down half an inch?
                                Brake booster is shifter towards the driverside, not down.

Can't help you with wiring
                                Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

1989 BMW 325i SOLD
                                1998 BMW Estoril Blue e36 M3/4/5 SOLD
                                1987 BMW 325 (The Piece) SOLD
                                1991 BMW 318is S52 swap (The Beast) Now Driving Project Thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=234207

Comment

Working...
                                X