DIY: In depth M52/S52 OBD2 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by choleaoum View Post
    So I'm suppose to chop the coolant sensor harness from the odb2 e36 harness? And pin it to fit the e30 plug? Which wired are they?
    You need to run two coolant sensors. One that comes with the e36 engine and hooks up to the harness and supplies info to the DME. You have to run a completely different sensor (e30 brown plastic top) to the e30 cluster to get the temp gauge to work. If you don't have a spare plug in your block you'll have to drill one out or use one of the other suggestions in this thread.
    M/S52 Wiring Diagrams
    Z3M S52 to late model 325i wiring diagram
    M52 to 318is wiring diagram

Comment

Thank you for clearing this up. Anyone have pictures of how the motor mount is mounted? I have it clicked into the crossmember but it looks like the driver side it's as bit too close to the frame. The charcoal canister is in the way. How do I bypass this canister?

Comment

Im having problems running a M52 328 steering pump with a 97 M3 rack. Seems like the banjo inlets/outlets do not correspond.

MY BUILD THREAD
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=235231

INSTAGRAM : @luchcolaneri

Comment

The PS pressure line needs to match the pump: rule of thumb.
          -Plastic OFH pump (M52) uses a 21mm banjo at the pump and a 19 at the rack
          -Metal OFH (m50/S50/S52) uses a 19 banjo at both ends.

Check Us out on Facebook
          Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
          Full Product Line Tuning
          OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

So basically I just need to get a M52 pressure line. The 21mm should plug onto the pump and 19mm to the top inlet on the rack.. The cooling line is all the same for all E36 models correct? (21mm) which hooks up to the bottom of the rack and the other to the reservoir.

MY BUILD THREAD

Comment

Originally posted by mtlbloodshot View Post
              So basically I just need to get a M52 pressure line. The 21mm should plug onto the pump and 19mm to the top inlet on the rack.. The cooling line is all the same for all E36 models correct? (21mm) which hooks up to the bottom of the rack and the other to the reservoir.
              My e30 cooling line worked too

Comment

I got every single line from a 325is so Ill use that cooling line. Just need to order the M52 pressure line.

MY BUILD THREAD

Comment

What pin is the e30 coolant temp sensor suppose to go to?

Comment

SUBD! a lot of good info that a newb like me can use. Thanks OP.
                    BUILDTHREAD
                    WTB LIST

Comment

Is there any additional wiring needed to run the e30 brown top coolant sensor? Or is it plug and play?

Comment

Originally posted by nokincy View Post
                        Is there any additional wiring needed to run the e30 brown top coolant sensor? Or is it plug and play?
                        You will need to splice a corresponding plug into the harness. Judging from the nature of your question you'd be better off contacting Dave from Markert Motorworks and see if he'll cut you a deal on modifying the harness for you. Good luck

Comment

im new to the BMW world and planning on doing a m50b25 with some worked internals, you mention using the "ZF" transmission, just wondering what car that is out of? is it the trans that comes with the m50? if there is another code for it that would be great aswell

Comment

ZF is the manufacturer.

all manual e36 M/S5x cars are equipped with the ZF 5 speed transmission.

Comment

Originally posted by evandael View Post
                              ZF is the manufacturer.

all manual e36 M/S5x cars are equipped with the ZF 5 speed transmission.
                              There are also two types (that I know of at least)
                              The ZF310 that came on Pre-1995 and 1995 e36 m3s (maybe more cars)
                              and the ZF320 that came on 1996-later e36 m3s and m52 cars (again maybe more cars)

The ZF320 is supposed to be a little better as far as I know.
                              Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

1989 BMW 325i SOLD
                              1998 BMW Estoril Blue e36 M3/4/5 SOLD
                              1987 BMW 325 (The Piece) SOLD
                              1991 BMW 318is S52 swap (The Beast) Now Driving Project Thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=234207

Comment

awesome, thanks. do these transmissions have mechanical or electrical for the speedo? just wondering cause i will be going standalone ECM. also does the m52b28 oil pan sti low... like scrape low? and if so any solutions? i will be lowering it a little (1"-1.5").

Comment

Working...
                                X