Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

e30 s52 swap tach mpg temp gauge not working

Guys,

I m just done with my s52 swap on my 1987 e30 325is.

i m running into some problems, the tach, mpg and temp gauge are not working.
    I try with an other cluster and same problem.
    I m using an akg adapter, do i need to do any other wiring or should it work like that?

let me know if you have any idea thanks

I am having the exact same problem. I have searched and this doesn't seem to be documented anywhere. My fuel gauge works tho!

Comment

do you have the e30 temp sensor in the head? it ur temp wont work with stock e36 temp sensor 2 pin plug. do not remove the 4 pin that goes into your ecu. as for tach and mpg there 3 wires in the glove compartment. i had the same issue i just wire those 3 and worked
      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Trust me it stock :yawn:

Comment

check the board batteries, if it's dead, tach and temp gauge will not work. i had the same issue, because the car was off battery for a long time before the transplant
        Last edited by chris_rai; 04-21-2013, 10:37 AM. Reason: da

Comment

Originally posted by knuklehead92 View Post
          do you have the e30 temp sensor in the head? it ur temp wont work with stock e36 temp sensor 2 pin plug. do not remove the 4 pin that goes into your ecu. as for tach and mpg there 3 wires in the glove compartment. i had the same issue i just wire those 3 and worked
          Yes I have the correct sensor for the coolant; e30 Browntop. I also wired it in correctly, slicing the BR/VL wire to the sensor. What are you supposed to do with the wires at the c103? nobody ever explains what you need to do with the c103 connector wires. Are they spliced into the engine harness?
          Last edited by duval7; 04-21-2013, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by duval7 View Post
            Yes I have the correct sensor for the coolant; e30 Browntop. I also wired it in correctly, slicing the BR/VL wire to the sensor. What are you supposed to do with the wires at the c103? nobody ever explains what you need to do with the c103 connector wires. Are they spliced into the engine harness?
            ill check my car. its been a while since i looked it
            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Trust me it stock :yawn:

Comment

So my temp gauge is working, i finished bleeding the cooling system and it eventually started to come up. I dont know if my speedometer is working as i havent been able to properly bleed my clutch and actually drive it, but my tach is definitely still not working.

Comment

Akg adapter doesn't encorporate a c104. You need one

Check Us out on Facebook
                Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
                Full Product Line Tuning
                OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

^ tach needs wired through the c104
                  1987 325is - S52

Comment

How is it wired through the C104? Does a wire from the engine harness need to be spliced into a wire from the C104? If so which wires? Thanks for the help.

Comment

hey man for my tach to work theres a black wire that you need to connect to your c104. for me it was a black wire from the x20 (pin 8, not 100% sure) to the black wire on the c104 and my tach works
                      Originally posted by evandael
                      a car is a car. call it a dildo, i'd still drive the hell out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by hooken m View Post
                        hey man for my tach to work theres a black wire that you need to connect to your c104. for me it was a black wire from the x20 (pin 8, not 100% sure) to the black wire on the c104 and my tach works
                        Where is the C104 located? Thanks.

Comment

Its a white three pin connector in the glove box.

Originally posted by e30rapidic View Post
                          that's exactly how mine is hooked up - sans any issues

wire that goes to pin 24 on the x20 goes to the red/yellow wire of the c104
                          wire that goes to pin 14 on the x20 goes to the black wire of the c104
                          wire that goes to pin 20 of the x20 goes to the wire on the back of the instrument cluster in the circuit board with the green covering that snaps onto the cluster.
                          1987 325is - S52

Comment

I dont think mine runs through the C104, from the ETM it looks like it goes through the C101 to the back of the cluster. Is that what you guys see in the diagram below? Also I cant find a three pin connector in that area. I had read that the C104 is on later models.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Did you have a pin 8 and 9 on your body side E30 c101? If so, then you are wired through the C101. If not, its through the C104.
                              1987 325is - S52

Comment

Working...
                              X